12-21-12 : Last Day to Sail

Moderator: GreenLake

12-21-12 : Last Day to Sail

Postby brucybaby » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:52 am

I just wanted to wish all my Daysailer buddies a great last day. Live it up! Anyone out there going out (literally) on their boat tomorrow? I would if I had my choice (maybe, supposed to snow). My DS2 has a hole in the bow that needs repair
, just in case the world doesn't end I figure I'd better be prudent. LOL

Have a great last day all.

BTW, here's a vid of my favorite MAYAN:
http://youtu.be/8AhFiePczT8

EOW.jpg
EOW.jpg (25.42 KiB) Viewed 9391 times
Bruce
'71 Oday DS2-Dashaway: Hull# 25873 Class# 4842
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa4 ... =slideshow
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A
brucybaby

Re: 12-21-12 : Last Day to Sail

Postby Breakin Wind » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Same to you, and may I add my final thanks again to everyone who's been so helpful this past year+
I'm glad I was able to learn to sail and enjoy a summer on the lake before it all wound down.

On an associated but unrelated note, last weekend my wife and I went out and bought everything we've ever wished we could have but couldn't afford, and put it on credit cards. I was disappointed that our local Maserati dealer wouldn't take my VISA on a Quattroporte but oh well...

And, if we're still her on Saturday, we'll of course return it all.

Thanks again - Scott
Breakin Wind

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Now how did you get that hole?

Don't worry, it's not structural :lol:

Could have used chewing gum to seal it for a quick spin :shock: :roll:

(Actually, when I refinished my hull I found a spot in the hull, well below the water line, that had been 'fixed' with something having the consistency of fresh chewing gum (probably some caulking compound). The PO had merely painted it over, and it held for a decade (at least).

Actually, this is where polyester-based repair options shine, even though I usually prefer epoxy. That gap looks narrow enough that a big dab of "high strength marine filler" from 3M should fill it. That stuff is tough enough for the purpose (I think it has some chopped fibers in it). And it cures fast enough for you to be in the water the same day!!

I've used this filler to build up edges of foils and it's held up nicely for that purpose, I also used it to restore gouges in the keel.

Because of the geometry, doing a laminate layup is difficult without any support and, also because of the same geometry, you don't really need to do more than provide a "plug" that keeps the water out and presents a fair outer shape - there's enough redundant structural support there that you don't need the repair to give strength / stiffness to the boat.

Once you have your "plug" you can grind it level, and add a layer of laminate on top as an extra insurance (against bumping the same spot again and pushing your "plug" into the boat. Some form of backing, like a piece of plastic on a fishing line that you can use to pull (from the outside) to push the backing against the repair from the inside would help.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby brucybaby » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Thanks GL. Actually, I had already opened up the flotation wall in the cuddy to tighted up a loose bow eye (orig was in good condition, so I just put on new lock washers), so it'll be a real simple fix. I'm going to use your 'bag of poly resin & glass fibers' idea (thank you!) to plug up and support from the inside and then use some white 3M 5200 on the outside.
One of the PO's used a square of cardboard for back support and then slathered on a bit of 5200 over it for a fix. The cardboard moistened up and rotted so there was no support left over the years. I noticed a small crack at the dock after my last sail and, of course, picked at it, and the whole thing just popped out. The cardboard backing was kind of a bad idea, but the white 5200 was amazingly close to the original gelcoat waterstripe color, so that's what I'm going with on the outside again. Due to my girth, that part of the bow sits just above water mostly and very little actually got into the boat while sailing that day, LOL
Bruce
Ray Twp., MI
brucybaby

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:00 pm

Bruce,

I would use a gel-coat repair kit. They are not that hard to use, and you can get them in pure white and many shades of off-white (based on hull colors of Sea Ray boats, I believe). Pure white may work for you.

Gelcoat needs a sheet of plastic over it to prevent oxygen from access (which stops the cure at the surface level). Wrapping a zip-loc bag or, almost better, the stiffish sheets that you can use to photocopy transparencies (or the see-through window from some packaging) results in a good cure, but also, gets you most of the way to a great surface.

Gelcoat can be sanded and polished, something that's probably not so easy for 3M 5200.

I'm glad you can access your tank from the rear - do you have any foam/floatation in it? Scary to think what would happen if it had filled...

Oh, and make sure to clean and scuff sand the inside of the hull sides where the repair will be - the bond will be almost exclusively mechanical.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby brucybaby » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:59 pm

Thx again GL. That's the better way to do it. It's going to be a spring project along with a couple of other minor repairs. The tanks are filled with Styrofoam blocks that are still in great shape. I have to admit, I took a chance, I went out that last couple times (winds under 10 mph) with the foam bagged and held in place. After I finish the bow repair I'm going to glass the wall back into its original position. I want it to look and function as George intended when I'm done.
Bruce
Ray Twp., MI
brucybaby

Postby GreenLake » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:02 pm

Bruce,

good luck with your repair. Yes, spring, hopefully with some decent temperatures - read the instructions of whatever you end up using, they'll tell you minimum temperatures. On the low end, stuff will cure more slowly, or sometimes, if it's too low, just never.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:00 pm

Would have liked to have gone out today, but school holiday program, company holiday lunch, etc. ...

... not to mention it was howling about 20 kts sustained/gusts 30 down here! Big cold front coming through. Overnight temps will be in the 30's!

Maybe tomorrow. If there *is* a tomorrow ... :o
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:47 am

Drove out to where the boat is stored. All snug. The dock had some damage from the elements, which meant emergency repairs under a rising moon to secure things enough until next time I can make it out.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Miscellaneous