Need help choosing a boat

Moderator: GreenLake

Need help choosing a boat

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 08, 1998 12:00 am

I am looking to buy a small sailboat and could use some help choosing the right boat. I need a boat that I can use as a sail trainer for my kids (currently 7 and 10 years old), small enough that they can reasonably handle with assistance, yet big enough (and stable enough) that I can feel safe about them sailing it. I'd like it to be big enough that our family of four can occasionally all go out for a short sail, but I think mostly myself and one of the kids will be the full crew. Racing is not a priority at all, but I would like a boat with spirited enough performance that it won't be boring for me to sail. So far, my top two choices for boats are the Daysailer and the Flying Scot. Any advice from you folks who actually know these boats?

David Blakey (dblakey-at-chkd.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 09, 1998 12:00 am

David, I've sailed both of these boats and I'd have to say that either is a good choice. The reason I went with a Day Sailer is that I found one at a good price here in Columbus. I found that used Scots tended to be more expensive, and I was happy to find a similar sized boat for a good deal less.

On the other hand, there are only a few DS sailors in this part of Ohio, but there's a whole fleet of Scots at the local yacht club. If you're interested in joining a community of sailors of the same boat, check around to see what's in your area. If you tell us where you're at, we can tell you the closest DS sailors. Both boats have class associations and information available on the web. As a bonus, the DS has this site. :)

Both of these boats have a good reputation for stability as far as I've heard. See the thread "Self Rescue of Day Sailer". It took some pretty nasty weather to almost push us over in the Scot, but it didn't happen.

I felt as if the Scot was roomier, and that I was "in" the boat instead of "on" it. The depth of the floor is more in a Scot; on the DS it's shallower but flat. Four is the most I'd ever want in a DS or a Scot. Sailing is a lot more comfortable with two or three, so you and your kids will fit well. Either of these boats can be easily sailed in fair weather with two people.

So, I probably haven't swayed you either way yet. I'd say the best advice would be to go hitch a ride on both of these boats, then go looking for what's available in your price range and area.

Mike Boone (boonedocks-at-kagi.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 09, 1998 12:00 am

Buy a Day Sailer!

If that is not enough to answer your questions I guess we have to ask several questions before we answer yours.

You don't say where you will be sailing this boat.

Have you taken either boat for a test sail? If not, try to do it. If you do you will find that the Scot's shortcomings are the DS's strengths:

Scots are light air, flat water boats. The cockpit is deep and hard to climb out of. Being a very heavy (relatively to length) boat they respond (relatively speaking) slowly. The mainsail is very larger in relationship to the size of the jib so as the wind speed increases the boat gets harder to handle. Your crew weight is a smaller proportion of the entire boat weight so hiking out has less of an effect. As the wind goes up you have to add a third person to keep the boat down. Because the cockpit is so deep it is difficult to reach the hiking straps to keep the boat right-side up, which is leads to feeling that you are sailing 'on/over the edge' sooner than in 'other' boats. Scots handle like a "BOAT".

The DS was designed for coastly sailing so it handles well in both flat water and waves, light to heavy air. It is a lighter boat, carries a smaller, more managable rig. A ds can be sailed by two people in most condiitions you would consider going out in. The cockpit is comfortable to sit in, hiking straps are easy to reach when you need them, the cuddy cabin provides a 'neat' place for kids to play (although my kids love sitting on the foredeck and hanging their feet in the water, which is hard to do on a Scot) and a great place to get out of the sun (not available on a Scot).

While racing is not a priority both classes provide it. But it is interesting to note that when they race together and are scored using the Portmouth handicap system the DS gets a more advantageous rating. In the club my parents raced in DSs and Scots raced together regularly and DSs often beat Scots boat for boat.

Still need more ammunition? OK, are there other DSs or Scots around? If there is only a Scot fleet nearby then buy a Scot and join it. The advantages of sailing with others who have the same kind of boat will override the deficiencies of the Scot.

Otherwise, buy a Day Sailer.

Keith Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Postby Bob Hunkins » Thu Apr 09, 1998 12:00 am

My parents own a Scot, anmd I got to sail it a few times last year. I found that it was harder to rig than a DS. The mast on my DS is deck stepped as is the mast on a Scot, but the I cannot lower the mast by myself on a Scot. In fact, it was very difficult to lower the mast on the Scot with two people. My parents eventually bought equipment to help them lower the mast. In comparison, I rigged a simple block and line and that lets me secure the forestay by myself.

The Flying Scot is a great boat, it's stable, as is the Day Sailer, and both have strong class associations. I think you won't go wrong either way. The big advantage I see to the DS is it weighs less and is easier to rig.

Fair Winds!
-Bob
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Return to Miscellaneous