Daysailer and Raspberry Pi

Moderator: GreenLake

Daysailer and Raspberry Pi

Postby DavidF » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:47 pm

I am curious if there are any other Daysailer sailors out there that are also Raspberry Pi hackers. http://www.raspberrypi.org/ The Raspberry Pi is a small ARM-based computer board that costs about $35 and runs linux. It was developed to teach kids about programming and electronics.

If I get some time this summer, I have been thinking about home brewing some instrumentation for my DSII with the Raspberry Pi. I know that many people on this forum like the simplicity of telltales and breeze on the face methods. I prefer to sail that way too, but think that this might be a fun intersection of my low-tech and high-tech interests.

I will report back if I actually move my ideas beyond my head.

David.
1977 DS2 #8687
DavidF

Re: Daysailer and Raspberry Pi

Postby Breakin Wind » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi David,

I'm not familiar with Raspberry Pi, but my brother is an Arduino fanatic which I suspect is very similar?

He's been trying to get me hooked on that hobby for about two years, but although I have a lengthy history in electronics tinkering and microcomputers that dates back to before the very early personal computers (Commodore Pet, TRS-80, Apple II and way before the IBM PC), I'd finally gotten clean and sober away from those hobbies in favor (now) of sailing.

Having said all of that, I would be very interested to hear if you do convert any of your ideas to breadboards. I think with the right idea or application, maybe either I could find a reason to get re-hooked, or better, convince my brother he should do it for me.

Let me know how it goes... Thanks, Scott
Breakin Wind

Return to Miscellaneous