Looking for Mooring Tips

Moderator: GreenLake

Looking for Mooring Tips

Postby neosoul » Sat May 04, 2013 11:33 pm

I am a new owner of a 1983 DSII and plan on dropping my mooring next weekend. I am hoping some of you may have some advice for a newbie who will be mooring his boat. One question I have is this: with two cleats on the bow should I create bridle and connect that to my pendant? Or is it safe to use just one bow cleat?
n e o s o u l - Peconic Bay, NY
neosoul

Re: Looking for Mooring Tips

Postby Skippa » Sun May 05, 2013 8:23 pm

I have moored my DSII for three seasons now. I use the bow eye that ais also used to haul the boat up on the trailer. I cut a hole for an 8 inch inspection port in the cuddy bulkhead last spring and found that the "L" bracket for the forestay was bent had pulled out of the mounting goop. I cleaned that up and drilled a couple of holes in the bow and though the bracket and epoxied it back in place.
The bow eye was fastened with two through bolts in a block of wood and all seems intact.
If I didn't have the bow eye I would install one. If you plan to use the deck cleats, a bridal would help minimize sailing from side to side. Chafe may also be an issue depending on where the deck cleats are located.
Good Luck and welcome to the forum. You will find it most helpfull.
Kevin,
Nauti-Cal, 1980 DSII
Skippa

Return to Miscellaneous