Open Boat Cruising

Moderator: GreenLake

Open Boat Cruising

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2001 9:52 am

Let me begin by congradulating everyone that contributes to the DS discussion group for "clean" and informative input. I have been a side-line reader of the home page for a long while and have gained a lot of great tips to improve my day sailer.
I have an O'day DS1 hull #1719 that my daughter and I have re-built (3 years) and have begun to sail. We have also been monitoring web sites on the topic of "open boat, or dinghy cruising". These sites have primarily been from the UK. We are bitten by the bug to rig our DS for overnight stays off coastal islands/keys and inland lakes. We will likely finish our home-made conestoga-wagon cockpit tent this weekend.
I have not read much comment about overnight stays in the DS in the discussion group. Anyone else bitten by the cruising bug that might have some insight. Some questions include privacy accomodations for using a portable head. Any good designs for a stowable galley that mounts to the centerboard trunk or transom deck?
Thanks again for a great web site!

Calvin Trotter (calvin.g.trotter-at-saint-gobain.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 11, 2001 10:51 pm

Welcome from off the side-line! Before owning a DS I grew up learning to sail on Long Island Sound and owned a couple of Blue Jays. Always wanted to cruise the sound "gunk-holing" along the coast. Spent many hours planning the tent(s) both on board and for those nights ashore, and planned all the gear needed to be purchased and built. Never did it. I suspect that this is the type of adventure you're never ready enough for, and are over preparing for. No doubt you'll do fine and have the time of your life! Keep a calm head in those tight situations that may arise and savor the time spent learning together. Enjoy, and please, let us all know how well you fare!

MAKurtis (Emak41-at-excite.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 14, 2001 9:45 am

Thanks for the encouragement. I think you are correct regarding "over preparing". On the other hand, I like thinking, planning and making ideas to improve and customize my boat almost as much as sailing it. Alas, other priorities kept me away from completing my tent last weekend. I will let you know how it works when finished.

Calvin Trotter (calvin.g.trotter-at-saint-gobain.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 18, 2001 1:47 am

So Calvin, how did the sailing go this summer?

MAKurtis (Emak41-at-excite.com)

Return to Miscellaneous