Forum Activity - Future of DSA and Sailing

Moderator: GreenLake

Forum Activity - Future of DSA and Sailing

Postby GreenLake » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Is it just my impression or has the activity on the forum increased during 2013?

Also, not very scientifically, the number of boats listed seems to be up.

If these observations are true, are they connected to a larger trend?

In other words, are we seeing the coat tails of a small resurgence of interest in small boat sailing, or is it something else. I'm curious to find out what impression people have, both related to this forum and outside, and related to the DS or other boats they may be familiar with.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Activity

Postby rnlivingston » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:27 am

Since retirement, I find I am more active on both the Daysailer site and Mariner site. Overall, I'm seeing an increase in activity on both sites. But as a member of a local sailing club here in Massachusetts, I've seen a steady decline in small boat sailing. It seems the only people still active are those of us over sixty. We don't seem to be attracting young people into the program. Interestingly, the number of members at our club hasn't changed...just the number of people actually sailing. I stay in close contact with the community boating program here in Worcester, MA. They have a very active youth sailing program, but a very small percentage of members that continue sailing after leaving the program.

There are some bright spots out there. More high performance boats like the Opti and O'Pen Bic are attracting more kids into sailing. With its' appeal as a family boat and racer, the Daysailer continues to be the most popular boat at our club. I just restored a 1966 Daysailer which I will use for teaching and a loaner for members to use...hopefully to try racing.

Recently, there was a lot of controversy about the use of the AC72s for the America cup races. A lot of people thought they were too far removed from the traditional sailboat used in the past. Having watched the 12 Meter yachts racing on Narragansett Bay, I agree on one level. But the excitement and interest generated by the close and personal AC45 races and America Cup races can only help to increase the interest in sailing. And hopefully, the low cost of getting into small boat sailing will appeal to young families.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby jeadstx » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:08 pm

I've noticed recently on the forum several folks "new to sailing". Leastways more than I've seen in previous years. I've also had some people ask me about learning to sail recently. I hope it is a trend of an increase in small boat sailing.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Re: Forum Activity - Future of DSA

Postby GreenLake » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:39 pm

Just go the latest edition of the Day Sailer Quarterly (DSQ). There are some interesting articles (if you didn't get one, you should join the DSA here).

One pointed out that membership in the DSA is declining, and that there aren't a lot of growing fleets. There was mention that there are a number of new independents. It's my sense, not scientific, that some of the most active participants of the forum, as well as many of the people who have joined the forum recently are what the DSA would call independents, that is people who do not participate in a fleet. Either because they don't race, or because they don't have a critical mass of other DS in their area, or those other DS owners don't race.

I continue to think that this forum constitutes the best the DSA has to offer to people who are independent, and that, unfortunately, only a percentage of people who enjoy this forum give back to the DSA in the form of a membership. We will have that discussion again later this year, when it comes time for membership renewals. But I must say, I have also not seen any form our outreach by the DSA to those that don't have access to a fleet and/or for whom a week long trip with boat trailer to a national event just isn't feasible. By and large, I'm surprised to see that the officers of the DSA are by and large not using the forum to do outreach.

In the same issue of the DSQ there was an article by Cape Cod Shipbuilding, mentioning that new DaySailers are being sold to non-racers, because the safety improvements of the more modern design are a selling point. Again, I'm surprised to see that CCS does not use the forum to do outreach. Yes, we don't like ads, but an occasional informational piece?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:45 pm

rnlivingston wrote:Since retirement, I find I am more active on both the Daysailer site and Mariner site. Overall, I'm seeing an increase in activity on both sites. But as a member of a local sailing club here in Massachusetts, I've seen a steady decline in small boat sailing. It seems the only people still active are those of us over sixty. We don't seem to be attracting young people into the program. Interestingly, the number of members at our club hasn't changed...just the number of people actually sailing. I stay in close contact with the community boating program here in Worcester, MA. They have a very active youth sailing program, but a very small percentage of members that continue sailing after leaving the program.

I wonder whether we are seeing a development where, instead of life-time sports, people gravitate to some activities by age bracket. Messing about in a DS, even racing, is something you can do well after retirement, in our local beer-can races we have someone sailing a Laser at 75 years of age. Would it be useful to think of recruiting as something that shouldn't entirely be focused on "youth" but also on people who might like to join sailing at a later age?

Just some thoughts.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Forum Activity - Future of DSA and Sailing

Postby dannyb9 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:15 pm

i bought my first daysailer when i was about 30. i bought my second one when i was 62. it s just a great boat, no matter what age group.
dannyb9

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:12 pm

I was completely engrossed in the sport of skydiving for more than 30 years. Yes, it is a sport, and there are competitions where people compete in many different disciplines. But the overwhelming majority of skydivers do it for the sheer fun of it, with no interest whatsoever in competing.

I still work in the parachute gear industry, and I can tell you first hand that the demographic is changing due to the increased costs associated with the activity. My first rig (the harness/container plus main and reserve canopies) cost me 500 bucks in 1982. Today you're looking at over 5000 bucks.

So, there are 2 kinds of people who gravitate to the sport: trust fund college kids, and older folks who are having a midlife crisis and don't know what else to do. We also see a lot more people coming into the sport and getting out of it after only a few years, rather than becoming "lifers" as I and many of my generation did ...

Perhaps the same thing is happening with sailing?
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby GreenLake » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:37 am

With sailing you have "access to the water" as another issue.

And yes, there's the thing that some people don't see the fun in competition for competition's sake, while others do.

I certainly didn't for the longest time, until one day I decided otherwise. I lucked into a nice group of sailors (none of them sailing a DS) and have been sailing a variety of boats in friendly competitions (some more formally organized than others). Instead of subtracting from sailing as a way to "get away from it all" for a sunny afternoon, it turned out that having a regular evening to go out really helped me go out more out of my boat, and helped me to not try to cherry pick the weather window so much that all the challenge went out of it.

Just a few weeks ago I sailed a small regatta in pouring rain and building winds (both expected before we set out), which turned out to be lots of fun partially because of shared misery (actually good rain gear helped a lot).

Having a community of sailors gave me a totally different access to experience - much appreciated and I keep learning, which is a big part of what keeps me engaged in sailing as an outdoor activity - I don't want to call it sport, somehow, because that implies competition for competition's sake to me. So the forum isn't my only and not even primary source of how-to information like it used to be not so many years ago. But it's fun to revisit topics with a different perspective from the first time around.

I think I needed the space to figure the basics out on my own, without the feeling of having them "handed to me". I can sense that spirit is alive here on the site. Now, with that behind me, I'm much more receptive to gleaning tricks from others - even if it can feel like there's so much more to learn that I really haven't left square one yet. For many of you who have read my posts that may sound surprising, but the fun part about sailing is that it's not all that hard to get into, but you take forever to really master it.

In all this, I haven't lost my interest in sailing in more open waters and longer distances. And have discovered that more boats on the same venture can mean more fun. I envy those here on the forum who have been able to set up group daysails. Closest I have come is mixed fleets.

Anyway, my take, when I started this thread, is that I see definite signs of a perking up of interest in small boat sailing, but not necessarily in traditional fleets. The DSA reports fleets are shrinking and that's probably true in many classes. So the traditional model doesn't work. But having an organization like the DSA is an anchor that does allow community to form. What would it take to make the organization more responsive to "non-traditional" and "non-formal" ways of sailing, so that we can enjoy the fun and benefits that come when others share our "sport" - and not just in the sense of having someone to beat in a race 8)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby curifin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:32 am

I am new to sailing and like it a lot. No idea whether the interest will persist. But finances and reality dictated the "small boat" entry into the pastime and will, I suspect, ensure my "small boat" participation for quite some time :-) I am glad I started with a smaller board boat from what I can tell, the family will be happier with a larger keel boat. That is many years away though so in the meantime I intend to enjoy the DS1.

I would join the DSA if y'all took paypal and or some other form of electronic payment. I have not taken the time to mail the stuff in. Electronics make me very lazy it seems. Help the lazy out - let us join electronically! :-)

I have never raced, but intend to go to Wurstfest with a buddy from work as my "crew". Depending on beer consumption, we may actually even put the boat in the water! I have no serious competitive interest, but, provided someone can show me how to do it, no objection to racing activity either. It looks fun and any excuse to get out on the water seems like a good idea to me. Looking forward to meeting JEADSTX :-) who's comments and trip report from the TX200 I have much enjoyed. Also planning to sail the TX200 this coming year but that all depends on family obligations at this point - a definite maybe.
1970 DS1 "Denial"
1993 Beneteau First 210 "Dory"
curifin

Postby GreenLake » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:40 pm

curifin wrote:I would join the DSA if y'all took paypal and or some other form of electronic payment. I have not taken the time to mail the stuff in. Electronics make me very lazy it seems. Help the lazy out - let us join electronically! :-)

On electronic payment options. That sounds like an absolutely brilliant suggestion. (I hate paypal myself because they are p..-poor when it comes to dispute resolution, but as an additional option, why not). I'll pass it on.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:59 pm

curifin wrote:I am new to sailing and like it a lot. No idea whether the interest will persist. But finances and reality dictated the "small boat" entry into the pastime and will, I suspect, ensure my "small boat" participation for quite some time :-) I am glad I started with a smaller board boat from what I can tell, the family will be happier with a larger keel boat. That is many years away though so in the meantime I intend to enjoy the DS1.

I have never raced, but intend to go to Wurstfest with a buddy from work as my "crew". Depending on beer consumption, we may actually even put the boat in the water! I have no serious competitive interest, but, provided someone can show me how to do it, no objection to racing activity either. It looks fun and any excuse to get out on the water seems like a good idea to me. Looking forward to meeting JEADSTX :-) who's comments and trip report from the TX200 I have much enjoyed. Also planning to sail the TX200 this coming year but that all depends on family obligations at this point - a definite maybe.

Racing, even if as a beginner you are likely to mostly be an observer from the rear, can be quite interesting (and challenging in a good way) because of interaction with other boats ("traffic"). You won't manage to learn all the detailed rules but you should have the basics down. The section A of "Part 2 - When boats meet" in the Racing Rules http://www.racingrules.org/guide/guide06.htm, or the equivalent section in the Navigation Rules. Just so you know the basic right of way situations, for example when you are on a port tack and have to give way to a starboard tack boat, or windward-leward. (Don't try to read ALL the rules before having seen a race close-up, most of them will not make any sense :) )

The second thing I would suggest, take someone aside and ask them to walk you through the procedure to follow at the start, and how they tell you what course to sail. With those two bits of preparation, you'll have a much easier time to find your way around and will enjoy your time on the water much more.

If you can crew for someone experienced, something like the TX200 will either confirm you as a sailor for life, or you'll say "never again". :lol: If you are tempted to do it on your own boat, take someone experienced along as crew.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby ChrisB » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:19 am

GreenLake wrote:With sailing you have "access to the water" as another issue.

Access to the water is a big issue here. The hurricane seasons of 2004 and 2005 wiped out several marinas in east central Florida and has made dock space scarce and pricey. This has driven many boaters (power and sail) to smaller boats that can be kept on a trailer and this in turn makes for some crowded conditions at launch ramps. Eight or nine boats out of ten are powerboats though; I just don't see a lot of sailors on the water.

For me, the decision on boat size has always come down to economy. I costs me next to nothing to keep the boat & trailer registered and store it in my yard. There are times when I wish I had a larger boat and I can afford one in today's boat market, but with a larger boat comes longer rigging time (if trailered) or dock rent. Gear and sails are more expensive for larger boats. The DS is a good compromise; I can rig and sail it by myself yet I can take 3 or 4 passengers on nice days. The cuddy is huge when it comes to packing camping gear for an overnight trip.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby jeadstx » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:32 pm

Wurstfest Regatta is the only race I have done in recent years, but it is good to do events with other sailors. Events like the Tx200 and the FL120 (as well as other camp cruising events) are good gatherings of small boats with many good and knowlegable sailors. Sailboats are definately outnumbered on the waterways by power boats. I have seen some renewed interest in sailing.

As for DSA membership, it seems that the DS quarterly reports mainly on races with very few articles about any other aspects of sailing the Day Sailer. I just sent my complete detailed report on the 2013 Tx200 to the DS Quarterly, I imagine it will get in the winter or spring issue. I would encourage others to send in articles on cruising events or modifications to the DS so that maybe there will be more than just race news in the DS quarterly. Those who don't race probably find little value in race results, but may find interest in some of the topics covered on the forum.

It would also be good if Cape Cod Shipbuilding would advertise in magazines like Small Craft Advisor. SCA has had about 5 artlicles about cruising the Day Sailer in the last few years. I know Stuart advertises the Rhodes 19 and Mariner in SCA.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby curifin » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:48 pm

Yeah I just browsed the rules.... Now reconsidering it altogether.
1970 DS1 "Denial"
1993 Beneteau First 210 "Dory"
curifin

Postby GreenLake » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:05 am

Dang!

I knew there was a risk of that.

Don't let yourself get discouraged. First, any decent group of sailors will be welcoming to a new guy. It's in their own best interest to help others get up to speed, even to improve - how else will they have anyone to race against. :wink:

I suggested to limit yourself to 2-3 of the most basic rules (Section A only) because those you simply need to know when you are crossing paths with another boat. They are also rather straightforward (and these few happen to be pretty near identical to the rules you need to follow when meeting sailboats that are not racing). So there's no excuse, really.

I predict you will have a great time. I also predict that you'll goof up in some really embarrassing way. My first race, I couldn't find the start line - because I was on it. And it was time for the really, really big and fast boats to start, and they all came barreling down on me at full speed and in formation - and what happened next is that I panicked, and I'm eternally grateful to the helmsman on one of those 50'+ boats who managed a tight pirouette around me, and had the courtesy to not take it out on a clueless newbie. If he hadn't I don't think my DS, or my ego could have ever been salvaged. :D

Hence my advice to have someone there walk you in detail through the starting procedure they use, it's just not something you'll be able to "figure out" while observing from the water, but if you know how it's organized, it will look simple.

Go out and get your feet wet!

Allow things to be a bit challenging, but keep having fun.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Next

Return to Miscellaneous