buying a DS?

Moderator: GreenLake

buying a DS?

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 26, 1998 12:00 am

O.K.,I read the messages about the pros and cons of buying a DS.I am also thinking about buying a DS that I found for a good price.We have a small but dwindling Lightning fleet and I am also thinking about restoring the old Lightning that I do have already.The thing that interests me about the DS is that it looks like you do not have to duck the boom as you do in a Lightning (my wife would like that).The only boat my wife has been in so far is a Catalina22.She is a newby to boats and the water and I don't want to scare her off.How is the cockpit on a DS as far as room for a three member family? Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. Happy sailing,Dave

Dave Griffith (djgriffith-at-eosinc.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Apr 27, 1998 12:00 am

I find the DS very comfortable for three family members. (Two adults and a 14 year old) You can put all three on the windward side with room to spare. There is still enough space for food and other junk. The boom is pretty high, but there is some ducking, at least you need to be aware of it as you come about. I have been in samller boats where you can almost feel the boom passing over you. I was sailing a Widgen (sp?) before the DS so it seems large to me.

Steve Max

Steve Max (75264.153-at-compuserve.com)

Return to Miscellaneous