Trolling Motor Thrust

Moderator: GreenLake

Trolling Motor Thrust

Postby jjone20 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:49 pm

How many pounds thrust would I need for my DS1? Only Plan B use as the wind in OK hardly ever quits, so just last 100 yards maneuvering to the ramp - until I learn to do without it. Thanks.
jjone20

Re: Trolling Motor Thrust

Postby Baysailer » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:45 pm

I have a 30# when and if I need it (and remember it) and it seems plenty for what I deal with but like you it is only to traverse calm waters not fighting currents. I shortened the shaft a bit and use a booster charger for a battery. these make it much more towable and stowable.

Fred B
Baysailer

Postby GreenLake » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:57 pm

30# to 40# is plenty for docking (absent strong winds).

Range is at the limit for getting home in a calm -- about 40min max speed, or longer, with much longer total distance, if you go slower.

No reasonably sized trolling motor will work against decent (strong) wind or against strong current.

That said, I'm using either a 36# or 40# - can't remember (probably in some old post :) ) and it's worked fine for my "Plan B" needs.

I'm doing better with docking under sail than under motor at this point, although for the learning curve, I did appreciate the rub-rail :).

For the final few feet (<50) a paddle is the best tool. It can be deployed from wherever you are sitting; it can be used to fend off; it can be stuck vertically and used as a brake (very useful, that). I have two on board, one on each side, so one is in reach from wherever I sit. Nowadays, mostly used to get out of the wind shadow of some buildings as boats on the ramp, to kill excessive speed when coming in (easier than a U-turn), or, conversely, to make up the difference if I didn't have enough momentum after all.

Trolling motor (nowadays) mostly used to get me through bridges and canal sections where sailing isn't possible, more rarely for docking somewhere I've not been before, and occasionally to get through an extended calm spot.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Clyde » Fri May 09, 2014 4:07 pm

I absolutely agree that the trolling motor is good for one thing - getting to and from the dock or float or motoring for a while if the wind dies. Don't get lulled into a nice high speed run down wind and then have to thrash your way back upwind. You're not going to power into the wind. Of course some like to thrash upwind - especially if you're racing - but I outgrew that long ago and sail alone.
Clyde Starr
DS1 #11354
"Downsized"
Clyde

Postby GreenLake » Fri May 09, 2014 4:41 pm

Route planning...

One of my favorite cruising routes is to a destination that is reliably upwind, so I can do the workout on the way there, have dinner, and slide downhill to get home. Another one has a close reach to close haul on the return, but in a single tack, so there's no extra distance to sail (and breeze is mostly gentle enough after dinner, so no need to fight).

And then there's the lake where some days the winds follow their own laws and it's possible to go entirely upwind while circling the lake. If I used the motor to go upwind on those days, I might just get a motorboat :shock:

It really depends on conditions (and local wind patterns). I decided to start with the minimal propulsion and work from there, and in the conditions here see no need for an upgrade. But conditions elsewhere may be different, so this is one where it's hard to define a single "best" answer.

I tend to not think of the trolling motor as any a "get me out of here" escape valve; so I plan sailing trips so that they can be completed under sail (or with moderate planned assistance through bridges, canals, known becalmed spots in the lee of land or buildings). If the wind gets stronger than planned, I reef or take sails down. In a persistent calm, I take a nap. That usually works :D
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Miscellaneous