docking cleats

Moderator: GreenLake

docking cleats

Postby Guest » Thu May 10, 2001 10:16 pm

Do any of you non-racers have cleats mounted on your Day Sailer for dock lines? Where are they located?

Vince

Vince (vincent.demperio-at-bms.com)

Postby Guest » Sun May 13, 2001 11:20 pm

Besides the standard cleats O'Day put on my boat, 2 at the bow, one each side near the stern, I have added mid-ships cleats for tying springlines to. I located mine about 2" aft of the shroud chainplates. Yes, the shrouds can get in the way of the docklines, but I have not had a real problem yet. When you mount your cleats, be sure to attach them with bolts backed up with plywood or aluminum backing plates and washers, I also used locknuts. I have a 1979 DS II.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby psness » Fri May 07, 2004 8:58 am

I have recently purchased a 1979 DSII, and have been wondering how to replace deck hardware where you can't get underneath. How did you mount the cleats amid ships when the cockpit is molded in place at that spot?
psness

Postby Roger » Fri May 07, 2004 10:14 pm

I have mid ship cleats at about the same position as Rod states in his posting. The front of the cleat is in line with the cuddy bulkhead about 5 inches back of the chainplate. I attached them the same way and the same distance from the edge as the chainplates. I hacksawed a ss tube in half and used that as a backing plate for ss through bolts, and loctite nuts. These cleats also provide a convenient place to hang my fenders. My dockline with fender attached is pre-looped at the right distance from the fender so that I simply hang them over the horn cleat, and they are properly positioned.
Roger

Postby Peter McMinn » Mon May 10, 2004 6:37 pm

The previous owner of my boat installed inspection ports in the tanks. These are located amidships, about 3' aft of the chainplates, but I suppose they could be more forward. Reaching through these, I can access the underside of the gunnel fairly easily to service / change out spin. cleats; I imagine if you installed an inspection port below where you want a cleat, you'd have decent access. An added benefit is that you can periodically dry out your tanks. Check D&R on this site--or any other marine store--for inspection ports.
Peter McMinn

Return to Miscellaneous