Daysailer as trainer

Moderator: GreenLake

Daysailer as trainer

Postby Interim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:47 am

An article in a recent issue of SAIL classified the Daysailer as a "trainer" in the broader daysailer category (as opposed to a cruiser or racer). Can anyone explain this? Is the DSII easier to sail than a Buccaneer or a Santana, for example? Is it the lack of devices like winches and travellers (which some of you have)?

It seems with the SA/Disp of 33 and the DL of 69, the DSII should be pretty quick for its size.

I haven't sailed other boats, so I just don't get the comparison the authors suggested.

--john
1979 DSII
Interim

Re: Daysailer as trainer

Postby ChrisB » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:00 pm

Articles like that are among the many reasons I quit reading the Sail years ago. Its a bunch of gobbledygook strung together and called an article. Most of the boats listed could fit in any of the categories with the exception of the distinction between multi-hulls and mono-hulls. I would say the DS is a better "training" boat than say a 505 or a 470, but who says you have to learn how to sail on a centerboard boat? Some of the boats classified as "weekenders" would make perfectly fine training boats. I learned how to sail on a multi-hull, then switched to a 30 footer when my dad retired. For my own boats, I have stuck with trailerables for reasons of economy. I've been in "training" with my DS-II for 22 years.
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:16 pm

Nicely put, Chris.

On the topic of magazines: I found SAIL so frustrating (even though subscriptions are dirt cheap) that I discontinued it without regrets. For people sailing small boats, the Small Craft Advisor is more interesting, and for people who like to fix things (or just read about how people fix things) around boats you can't beat the British "Practical Boat Owner" or the US "Practical Sailor." Despite the similar titles, they are rather different. The UK is what a general-purpose sailing magazine should be like, except that it doesn't exclude power boats, but sailboats predominate. In a recent issue they ran a very nice test of ratchet blocks. Practical Sailor, on the other hand is more like the Consumer Reports for sailors. It's heavily geared towards in-depth tests of varnishes, anti-fouling, anchors, hardware, etc. Finally, if you love wooden boats (but were wise enough to stick to fiberglass) you might enjoy Wooden Boat magazine. (Reading about gleaming expanses of lustrous wood is always nicer than having to maintain them :) ).

Depending on who you train, you may prefer a more stable dinghy, and one that isn't overpowered in most conditions. The DS definitely qualifies. Some people like to cruise in boats that have a bit more of a cabin (like a Potter or a Mariner). And for racing, many dinghies are just a bit more lively and faster -- the biggest strength of the DS is that it can do all three reasonably well.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Interim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:43 pm

interesting. I should note that I read Sail as collateral damage from a recent Father's Day, so I'm not going to end it. But I might drop hints before next year about alternatives. Can't say I'd miss the reviews of the latest 90' Beneteau.

Onward with my training.

--john
1979 DSII
Interim

Postby ChrisB » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:12 pm

John,

That is the main reason I no longer read Sail; I don't need some clown telling me a boat with a $250,000 price tag is REALLY nice. Small Craft Adviser comes close but has too much emphasis on homebuilds for my tastes. I do pick up a copy every now and then when they have an article of interest.

-Chris
Chris B.
ChrisB

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:54 pm

Among the sailing magazines, "Good Old Boat" covers the market for sailboats "of a certain age". Again, not perfectly focused on our type of sailing, but I enjoy reading it every once in a while. May be hard to come by unless you live near the coast and the magazine rack is particularly well-stocked.

For the same reason (to get some diversity) I tend to occasionally pick up magazines for model sailboats or ocean going ships (or the more racing oriented sailing magazines). I especially love getting my hands on foreign ones when traveling.

Most magazines end up becoming "repetitive" after a while. There are only so many types of articles that fit their chosen editorial philosophy after all. So, one strategy, which I followed for a number of years is to have a serial round of subscriptions. One year (or two) of some magazine, followed by another and so on.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby kokko » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:51 am

Greenlake beat me to praiseing Good Old Boat. Not only interesting, but they recently jumped through hoops to correct a problem with my electronic subscription. I exchanged emails with everyone on the staff including Jerry Powlas and Karen Larson. I was so impressed with their customer service that I sent a bottle of Maker's 46 to their editorial office (Karen and Jerry's kitchen table I think).

To the other question. Is the DS properly referred as a trainer? Mebbe.
I think that small boats make the sailer. If you sail a small boat like the DS, you can easily move up to a larger boat. It was easy for me to move from a Sunfish to a Capri 14 to a 19' Charger to my 22' Catalina. Then I bought my DS1. I still learn a lot from Truelove and se is a joy to sail.
Among dinghys, the DS stands out as a relatively stable, comfortable both. Although I learned on a Sunny, I don't want a "wet boat" where I am frequently capsized. The DS keeps me safe and dry

The keelboats are more forgiving than a dinghy, which is much more responsive to the slightest puff or shift. But I disagree with the notion that the small centerboard boats are "trainers" that you learn on and move to something larger. The DS is a joy in itself and provides a different sailing experience than my C22. So I have both and appreciate the qualities of both.

My wife and I spentlast weekend in Hayward, WI where i keep Truelove. I only get up there once a month, but last weekend was a joy. Wonderful winds.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby jeadstx » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:01 pm

I agree that learning to sail on a boat like the Day Sailer would probably make a better sailor. My experience on the Tx200 in 2011 and 2012 show this to be true. My cousin learned to sail on keel boats. He sailed a Catalina 25, a good boat. He sailed Lake Michigan most the time. I thought it would be easy for him on my Day Sailer sailing the Texas coast. It wasn't. He was used to a keel that weighed more than my boat. Lack of understanding stability of a centerboard boat vs keel is what led in part to our capsize in 2012. While on port tack, we were heeled to starboard in 15 knot plus winds. I was trying fix a stay that came off the starboard chain plate. I got the clevis pin back in, when my cousin came over to the starboard side, we went over. Never occured to him to release the mainsheet first. He just had it in his mind that the keel would keep us upright.

In 2013 and 2014 I had crew that sailed centerboard boats. Big improvement.

I don't get Sail magazine anymore for the same reason others have mentioned. Another boat that is found as a trainer for sailing is the Rhodes 19.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Return to Miscellaneous