Polyurethane as antifouling paint?

Moderator: GreenLake

Polyurethane as antifouling paint?

Postby ldeikis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Hello all. I am a hopefully-soon-to-be DS owner. Have been looking and learning all summer, and am excited to get a boat soon (for next season, obviously). I've learned a ton from this forum and from reading Roger's book. Am looking for a DS2 because the town we're moving to has mooring balls available very cheaply and I would like to be able to leave tiller, vests, etc securely on the boat when moored. I'll also need an outboard, as I'll be sailing in the lower Hudson river, which has currents, tides, and traffic, and paddling home when the wind dies would sometimes be impossible.

Anyway.

A boat I'm interested in is several hours away, but at a reasonable price. The one thing that raised by eyebrows is the owner writes, "Hull recently polyurethaned in vibrant red". I understand about antifouling paint and from the photos he'd posted it looks like it lives on a small lake, so perhaps is docked or moored. However it's not clear to me if polyurethane IS antifouling paint, or if this guy painted the boat with something else. I will of course ask him, but he's likely a bit biased, huh? So what do you think? Is this a problem or a nonissue? The boat is otherwise near the top of my list.

Thanks,

Luke

Full ad text for those who care:

Well maintained DaySailer II. Hull recently polyurethaned in vibrant red. HIN: 4XDYD92___73
Mainsail and jib in good condition - no tears or rips or patches. Sail cover (Canvas)for mainsail.
Yamaha 1993 model 4MLHR 4hp long-shaft outboard on raisable motor mount in excellent condition.
Sealion 1984 trailer in good condition (VIN: 1 437__) - roadworthy
Registrations for trailer and boat in hand for legal transfer.

boat is in the water and can be demonstrated.
'74 DSII sailing Haverstraw Bay and the lower Hudson River
ldeikis

Re: Polyurethane as antifouling paint?

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Some PU paints are not rated for long duration immersion in water. If painted below the waterline they should be "dry-sailed" that is from a trailer, and not moored in the water.

The text makes it not clear whether the PU extends below the waterline. If not, all you would need is add antifouling below the waterline and you are good to moor the boat; otherwise, you might possibly have to remove the PU paint below the waterline first.

If you do not keep the boat in the water for extended periods then you do not need antifouling of any kind.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Miscellaneous