Launch Day 2015

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: Launch Day 2015

Postby talbot » Sat May 16, 2015 1:37 pm

Wow. All of these issues are familiar, but they usually come up one at a time.

The presumptive cause of the CB being stuck down is the slack uphaul cable slipping between the board and the side of the trunk. Did you have a bungee tightener on the uphaul to keep the slack out? If not, that's probably it. When that happened to me, I removed the CB and replaced the (now bent) cable tangs and cable. And installed the bungee to prevent it from happening again.

The sources of bilge leaks are usually:
-- poorly fitting or (ironically) over-tightened CB bolts that deform their sealing washers.
-- poorly sealed drain plug
-- deteriorating putty around the through-hull where the CB uphaul enters the cuddy
-- cracked or leaky deck plates in the cockpit
-- gaps in the hull/deck connection (but only lets water in when the boat is heeled sharply)

Right. The DS won't sail upwind without the main. Everyone has tried it. Everyone has the same experience.
Motors always die when you need them most. You didn't know that?
If one thing can catch on another it will. I have taken to taping my split rings to minimize snagging. Another classic is to snag a line on the split ring of one of the shrounds, which then pulls out, releasing the pin and causing the mast to come down.
And as long as you're serving as poster boy for all things unlucky about Day Sailers, I don't suppose you have reinforced the lip where the shrouds attach, or the forepeak where the stemhead attaches? Those are pure, under-engineered design flaws that don't happen often, but that make the news when they do.

Don't know if you are a drinker, but if you are, have a stiff one. Do some fun things on dry land, and then set about the fixes, all of which are well documented on this forum.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 16, 2015 6:45 pm

What Talbot says.

Sorry to hear about your bad day. But anyone who can successfully sail their way out of such a cl...ck is somebody I'd want to go sailing with!

The only time I sail the DS under jib alone is going downwind, usually the last bit before approaching a dock, or sometimes leaving a dock or beach going downwind.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby rkinross » Thu May 28, 2015 8:45 am

Hi,
I feel your pain. These daysailers just don't want to point high enough when the wind picks up. I have had similar experiences where I just can't get back to the dock. I thought it was just me but I see you have had a similar experience.
Bob
rkinross

Postby GreenLake » Thu May 28, 2015 11:13 am

If you sail with main only, it helps to move the CB aft a bit (by partially raising it).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby talbot » Fri May 29, 2015 11:00 am

Just to be clear . . . . we're talking about sailing under jib alone, right?
Under normal sail configuration, the DS points into the wind to about 45 degrees, and handles better when the wind picks up.
The "just can't get to the dock" experience is more likely in light air. The DS begins to drift when boats that are relatively lighter or have more sophisticated hulls are still making headway.
talbot

Postby GreenLake » Sat May 30, 2015 7:48 am

In light airs, the challenge is to keep the boat going. Sudden adjustments, or change of balance (moving about) can stop the boat and because it's relatively heavy, it's tough to accelerate it again. With practice, it's quite possible to get the DS to "ghost", where it moves steadily, but almost imperceptibly.

Jib alone really only works downwind. Upwind, you can use main alone, with the CB partially raised. I've not encountered conditions yet where i couldn't make headway upwind, even with a reef in the main. It does get a bit less efficient with a reefed main. Without reefing, trying to keep the boat upright by spilling wind, can add to the inefficiency, to where upwind progress is reduced.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous