All good news today - spring is finally here

Moderator: GreenLake

All good news today - spring is finally here

Postby klb67 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:43 am

It's all good news today. Tomorrow I can get my DS II out of winter storage. Plans are to immediately take it to the lake, launch, and install the upgraded centerboard controls, which includes drilling the holes into the starboard side of the CB trunk for the block and pad eye. Then load it up and take it home to scrub and hopefully buff the hull this weekend or next weekend. I'm also upgrading the jib sheet controls.

The icing on the cake is that sail care called and my sails are done - I was expecting to have to wait until late May , at least, since I took them there just on 4/1. But they are done, and I'll be able to pick them up next week. I'll report back on how they look and feel when I get them and get some time at the tiller with them. They are original but I don't think significantly used original sails. The jib had no repairs at all. The main had just a few batten pocket repairs.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Re: All good news today - spring is finally here

Postby klb67 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:14 pm

So it was MOSTLY good this weekend. Got the DS out of storage, met another DS owner, got new jib blocks on and centerboard trunk mounted can cleats temporarily installed. Oddly I had one of 4 holes drill through, presumably into the CB cavity. The other 3 had plenty of depth. I plan to get some epoxy to put in the holes w waxed bolt threads.

I had one setback. I added a block system for the CB downhaul, including mounting a pad eye on the starboard side of the CB trunk. That part was uneventful. However, when I went to lower the CB, it jams about half way down. At this point, all CB controls are new. I had the CB out last year to replace the uphaul wire. At times the CB has been difficult to lower and I had hoped the block system would fix the issue. It hasn't. I don't know why it is jamming. The PO replaced the rope coming out of the CB with a thicker three strand, so I know its not jamming beside the CB - it can't. I am getting a fair bit of vacuum when I move the CB. I don't know if that's it. Unfortunately at one point when I was raising the CB, I pulled too hard and the nicopress on the wire hit and crunched the plastic bushing in the front of the CB trunk. The flange split in 3 and the through part is now floating around in the CB trunk.

I'm going to pull the CB the next trip to the lake to get that piece out, and I may do some sanding on the top edge of the CB. I'm wondering if it is jamming there. Otherwise I'm lost.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby klb67 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:15 am

I just uploaded a few pics of my weekend work. I didn't get a pic of the centerboard controls, but will do so later.

I'm going to try the prusik loop on my jib sheet, and attach the jib with a soft shackle. I think I want to shorten up the loop a bit from what is shown in the picture. The line is New England Spyder Line 2.8 MM - I'd appreciate the board's thoughts on whether this will be sufficient or whether I should go to something thicker.

Please excuse the cruddy boat - I have not cleaned it yet.

1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby GreenLake » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:09 pm

For the Prusik loop I would have gone with a rope that you can splice into an endless loop, or one that you can splice into a soft shackle (which then forms the loop). Rope that you cannot splice would seem an odd choice.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby klb67 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:01 am

Greenlake - I'm a complete newbie on splicing. I've done exactly one three strand chain splice and just did my first soft shackle using dyneema. I'm wasn't familiar with a continuous loop, but see now via google that it is possible. I would be concerned that I'd have to use too thick of a line to splice and then die the prusik, but again, I'm new at this.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby GreenLake » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:44 am

If you use Amsteel or a similar hollow braid Dyneema rope, you can go to rather small diameters. The rope is very strong and very easy to splice. It is also lighter than some other ropes, so even if you go up a size it won't matter that much.

If you've already done a soft shackle, you are practically there. A soft shackle has, on one side, an eye you can push open and on the other a diamond knot. When closed, it forms a loop. Make that loop long enough, and you can wrap it, Prusik style, around your sheet.

That way, instead of multiple connections you have a single Prusik loop that you can open to admit the clew of your sail. (See it all here).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby klb67 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:43 am

I finally, FINALLY, got a good full day of sailing in this weekend. It started with some club activities and one race in my Sunfish until the wind quit, for awhile. After lunch and some swimming with the family, the wind picked up again and I got the DS out. I had been having issues with the CB controls and earlier this spring had to careen the DS twice to remove and reinstall the CB. So on Saturday my first goal/hope was that the CB was working as it should - success! I got the family loaded on the boat and off we went.

It was the first time I got to use my new jib cleat system - I am happy with the set up. My 7 year old was able to man the jib sheets for the most part, with a little assistance from mom. There's no way he could have done so with the factory set up. It clutters up the center of the boat in front of the cuddy just a bit, but there's still room for a smaller person to sit between the cuddy and the jib sheets.

I also really like the soft shackle set up to attach the jib. Based on Greenlake's recommendation, I make a continuous loop with Amsteel and used a prusik loop to attach to the new continuous jib sheets - it works really well.

Finally, I think I mentioned I had my sails reconditioned from Sailcare in the offseason - I am really happy with how they turned out and they seem to work much better. They aren't as crisp as new modern sail fabric, of course, but they are much improved and it was good money spent for my unfortunately periodic use vs. cost of new. If I sailed more often, I might have chosen new.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:04 pm

Glad things worked out. Perhaps post a picture of your final jib sheet setup for reference? Makes it easier to follow what worked for you.

About sails in general: consider them a "consumable" and plan on getting a new set eventually. They only have so many "miles" on them. I know, there's a great reluctance out there, because they are by far the most expensive item to replace (short of the hull...), so start saving a little bit each year so you are prepared when you need a new set. :)

Glad that the sailcare seems to have bought you some time.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby klb67 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:27 pm

I'll post some pictures after I get out sailing again - not sure when that will be. Ironically I can't see my own pics in this thread anymore.

What I'm most impressed about with Sailcare is that the sails are completely refurbished, not just cleaned and treated - I watched them confirm the batton pockets were rotted (I was surprised how easily they tore open with just a little pressure) and point out other issues they found quickly during the initial inspection. Sailcare fixed all of them, clearly did a lot of new stitching, replaced? the bolt rope, cleaned up the hanks, and I suspect a few sail numbers were either replaced or at least restitched. Plus with the resin, they are now nothing like the tent cloth they were when I took them in. For my crusing, they should last awhile longer.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:57 pm

Pictures under way, with the sails trimmed, pointing up so one can see the draft. That would tell us a lot.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby klb67 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:26 am

Not sure if these will tell you much - it was gusty when I tried to take them and my wife was wrangling our 3 year old, so I had to handle the sheet, tiller and take the pics. Will try again next time. I was real glad to make it out 2 weeks in a row and sail for a few hours in great wind.
Attachments
img_20150801_155657416-resized-1280.jpg
img_20150801_155657416-resized-1280.jpg (215.67 KiB) Viewed 15480 times
img_20150801_155718951-resized-1280.jpg
img_20150801_155718951-resized-1280.jpg (226.16 KiB) Viewed 15480 times
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby GreenLake » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:06 pm

I am not sure about all the wrinkles in the bottom right, but the seams curve in a way that looks like the rear part of the sail is reasonably flat. (You'd want the maximum camber in the front 1/3 of the chord). Others may have more detailed opinions to add. Can you tell us what point of sail and how much sheet tension you had? Upwind? Reach?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby klb67 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:18 am

I was close reach on a port tack when I got those photos. I'll try to get much better ones, hopefully showing more sail area, the next time out. Not sure how to answer the question on sheet tension. Winds were forecast to be 9 mph, gusts to 15 mph or so, at that time. I'd say they were in the gust range when the pic was taken. I had the main cleated, but sheet in hand to uncleat if needed.

I could add that my wife wasn't keen on the boat heeling much, so I was sailing fairly flat in that pic, with both adults sitting on the port/windward side (and probably a kid on that side of the centerboard trunk as well).
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Return to Miscellaneous