difference in sailing characteristics DS I and II

Moderator: GreenLake

difference in sailing characteristics DS I and II

Postby apattersonpa1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:31 am

Hi- I am new to DaySailers and am about to buy either a DS I or a DS II. The DS II is 1976, the DS I was built in 1984. I know the difference in cockpit design, etc., but what are the REAL differences? How important is the self-bailing, etc., of the II? is the two a "safer" boat because of self-righting, etc? i know this will cause an argument btween I and II owners, but what are the sailing differences? thanks, Art
apattersonpa1

Re: difference in sailing characteristics DS I and II

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:40 pm

I've sailed on both, have not capsized either. My DS1 is considerably older than the 1984 you are considering, so I don't know whether there weren't any changes in later DS1s that I don't know about.

CB control via lines vs. a handle seems to cause more problems than it solves. Would be a reason for me to avoid it. As would a shallower seating position. But as far as sailing the boat, other things matter more, and some of them (like getting better sails, foils, line handling) are things you can retrofit to your taste on either model.

All things being equal otherwise, I would think that any purchase decision would normally be based on the relative condition and price of the two boats you are considering.

I know, I myself didn't approach this that way when I started out, but given that at that age most boats neither gain nor lose value dramatically if maintained in the same condition, you might consider that you are not really "locked in" (as you would be with a larger sailboat). If you find that you didn't get it right, you can "upgrade", by switching to another boat when you know better what your personal preferences are.

The advantage of giving yourself permission to not stick with your first choice forever means that the benefits of over-analyzing your current decision diminish considerably, and that the opportunity cost of not being out on the water while pondering how to get there will dominate.

In other words, I gently want to nudge you to consider whether you aren't asking the wrong question. If you really are close to a purchase, you are comparing concrete boats. By all means, show some pix or link the craigslist ads, and perhaps we can advise you which is the better deal. But I'm afraid that a general debate along the lines of "which design is better" will not get you to a decision faster, so will just make sure you miss more sailing days (and perhaps lose the chance to purchase either boat).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:57 pm

I've never really needed a bailer on my DS1, but I've been on a DS2 that needed constant bailing from water coming in via the CB controls on a fast downwind leg. So, if I base it on that experience, the answer becomes that on a DSII a self-bailer is more important. :)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby apattersonpa1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:59 pm

that is helpful- thanks. I can look at the two boats and see the physical differences. And I am an experienced sailor. So what I am looking for is whether people who have sailed both have a real preference for one or the other. For example, you mentioned the centerboard handle being preferable to you over the pennant system of lines. Probably my biggest concern as an aging sailor is whether the lack of a self-bailing cockpit and that type of thing is problematic with the DS I as opposed to the II?
apattersonpa1

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:23 pm

As I wrote, I've never capsized either one. As far as that goes, the DS is probably overall a boat that is not easily righted (compared to many other boats). If that's a particular concern to you, there are areas on the DS1 where you can add some extra flotation, but newer DS1's may already have that (the older DS1's had a free space between seats and side decks). There's also the option of first sealing your mast, then adding foam inside and perhaps finally flotation on the outside (several threads here cover that).

Older DS1's (older than what you were looking at) seem to be rather competitive in racing. So there may be some disadvantage from the later modifications, but the difference in handling and sailability is probably only apparent between boats where everything else (sails, foils, hardware) is maxed out and optimized.

I'm sure, by the way, that on a DS1 you could fit some kind of auto bailer if you wanted to. Not the same as a self-draining cockpit, but the kind where you can flip a lever while making speed and suck out any water that's been pooling. Where would you be sailing? Will you have to pound through chop? I've simply not managed to get a lot of water inside my DS1 (even during a memorable windless afternoon on the lake in the rain the water never rose above the floorboards, so we simply drained it out on the trailer).

If you describe yourself as "aging sailor" then I would make sure you purchase one with a tabernacle (deck stepped mast), unless you plan to leave the boat on the water. The simpler mast raising will be, the more fun you'll have sailing. (I have a keel stepped mast, but with a bit of special hardware that allows me to raise the mast single handed. Without that bit of gear I'd probably sail half as often).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby apattersonpa1 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:31 pm

All good suggestions, thanks.
apattersonpa1

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:30 pm

You are welcome. Looks like everybody else is off sailing. Not a lot of traffic here right now.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Miscellaneous