Gloves

Moderator: GreenLake

Gloves

Postby talbot » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:27 pm

After the hottest summer on record, fall came suddenly. I was sailing on one of our high lakes this weekend. Brisk day right after a storm, fresh snow on the mountains. I thought I was all set up with polypro, bibs, jacket, sea boots, and full-fingered West Marine gloves. The first splash of spray got the gloves wet, and for the next two hours I was sailing one handed with whatever hand was free tucked under my arm. I have lots of experience in snow, but not sure how to keep my hands warm on the boat. Standard ski gloves are too bulky, and spring skiing gloves are pretty much the same as the WM gloves I had on. Anyone out there do frostbiting? What do you wear?
talbot

Re: Gloves

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:09 pm

I've been out down to about the 30's on the boat. Used to bike in any weather. From that time I own a pair of all-leather welding gloves which I wear with a knit liner. They work well as long as I can keep them reasonably dry. Absolutely wind proof and they fit over your sleeves.

Recently, I've tried some full fingered gloves (Armor Skin), but the last few seasons we had above average temperatures, meaning I have no good data on how warm they keep. They are not very thick and have no room for liners.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Gloves

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Used to use these Nomex flight gloves for cold air sailing when I lived up North. Buddy of mine was a helicopter pilot in the NG and would give me his when they had "reached the end of their useful service life" (of course they were still perfectly serviceable!). Then they parked him at a desk in the Pentagon, and I had to buy my own:

http://www.uscav.com/hatch-flight-glove-w-nomex/

Great warmth and dexterity wet or dry, and room for liners underneath if needed. Haven't needed to buy any in a long time - looks like they only have the import ones now. The made in the USA ones always fit better ... 8-(
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Return to Miscellaneous