Ladders

Moderator: GreenLake

Ladders

Postby Guest » Sun May 17, 1998 12:00 am

Does anyone have a suggestion for rigging a ladder or other way to climb into the boat (easily) after swimming?

Bruce (BruceRRose-at-stratos.net)

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 14, 1998 12:00 am

I just cleaned the bottom of my boat this weeked in shallow water and just "climbed over the back". It was no big deal Heck I'm 44.

Jeff (Lakeleach-at-clarityconnect.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 16, 1998 12:00 am

The previous owner of my DSII installed a clever stainless steel ladder at the stern with telescoping steps that swing down into the water. The mfg. is Windline in Los Angeles, CA (310) 306-8558 http://windline.com/ladders.html

I donÆt think I would have installed it due to the weight and height (it sticks up above the rail about 5 inches) at the stern, but looks like it will be convenient. It may also be a good, short-handed, safety device. I may appreciate it if I'm trying to get back into the boat, fully-clothed, from the chilly SF Bay in steep chop!

Another trick is to use a rock climbing ladder (stirrups made from 1 inch webbing).

John Curtis
DSII 10551

John C (pf_flyer_1-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 31, 1998 12:00 am

I made a ladder out of 1 1/2" PVC plumbing fittings. It cost about $8 to make and it also can serve as a floatation device. I used 90s and street 90s for the hooks and capped them, tees for the first step fittings and 90s for the bottom step. IF you are interested i will send the exact dimensions.

Gary Perlson (gperlson-at-somtel.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 29, 1999 1:00 am

Just found this page.Please send sketch or dimensions of pvc ladder.Sounds like a good solution to a problem.Thanks..Sam

Sam Harrell (sharrel-at-polaroid.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 04, 1999 1:00 am

I got one of those cheap aluminum and plastic ladders that you can get at most boat stores. Last summer, I tried to use it like I had on my Dad's old J-24, and had trouble because the transom wasn't tall enough. The little folding feet were below the bottom of the transom.Later I tried to fit it by the cuddy cabin,(on my DS-II) and it worked a lot better. There was more room. I was afraid that getting in on one side would capsize it, (I'm not exactly small) But it seemed to be ok. It tipped some, but not enough to capsize.

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 13, 2001 1:00 pm

I've always just climbed into the boat but it is difficult for some passengers .Please send sketch or dimensions of pvc ladder, and if anyone else has suggestions please let me know. Thanks, Gary

gary macdonald (macdonald22-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 14, 2001 9:35 am

I have not tryed it yet but I read where someone simply tied a bowline knot on the end of his dock line through a 4" piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe and cleated the other end off in the boat. The single "step" was enough to help swing up onto the transom. It seems to me that the step would swing under the boat when stepped on though. If it works it sure would be easy to stow a short piece of PVC.

Calvin Trotter (calvin.g.trotter-at-saint-gobain.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 14, 2001 5:52 pm

I bought a "Swim-Stirup" from WEST MARINE a couple of years ago, but have not got it to work yet because I tried using it on the starboard side hanging it off the stern mooring cleat on that side. It just kept swinging in under the boat and was no help! I have looked at ladders that mount to the transom, but they are either too expensive, too much in the way, or both. I may try the idea of the PVC pipe, and just use the step from my swim-stirup on the bottom, THANKS for the idea! I still have not given up on using a teloscoping ladder that is sold for mounting on a swim platform of a powerboat, but again $$$ is still more than I wish to spend.

Rod Johnson (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Miscellaneous