Heading West (no not dying!)

Moderator: GreenLake

Heading West (no not dying!)

Postby TIM WEBB » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:31 pm

Well, it's official: our family is moving to CA. My wife Ilse has accepted a position with UC Santa Cruz, doing communications for Lick Observatory. They made an offer we couldn't refuse, and besides, she loves it out there way more than she "likes" FL. The girls are already out there, Balto goes on a plane on Thursday, and I will remain here for about a month to orchestrate the move from this end.

The Red Witch will be staying here with her PO, and I will be towing the Spindrift 22 to CA. It was a tough decision to make, but the sailing that will be available to us out there will be much more suited to a 22' boat with a wide beam, lots of ballast, and a cabin. My intent in buying the 22 two months ago was to keep TRW for daysails, and use the 22 for the longer overnighters so that the girls could begin to accompany me on those adventures, but now we're on a different adventure, and I can't tow 2 boats to CA.

I will continue to lurk this forum, and offer constructive input when I can. TRW's PO might even pop up on here, although he's not much of a computer guy.

jeadstx, I will probably be passing through your neck of the woods around the 1st or 2nd week of August, and I would love to finally meet you in person and possibly go sailing together. I will have no set schedule during my drive, no set destination to reach every day, just going to head West at my own pace. Will probably stop in Pensacola on the way for one more overnighter in those waters as well. I'll keep you posted as I get closer.

I've really enjoyed the 11 years that I've had the pleasure of sailing TRW, and I owe much of that enjoyment to what I've learned from this forum. If you feel the same way, and haven't already done so, please consider joining the DSA and helping to ensure that this forum can continue to be a place where all DS sailors can learn from eachother.

Fair winds and following seas,

- Tim
Tim Webb
1979 DS2 10099 The Red Witch
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Re: Heading West (no not dying!)

Postby K.C. Walker » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:04 pm

Wow Tim, I feel sorry for us losing you as a forum participant (with a boat :-) but I don't feel sorry for you at all. Santa Cruz is wonderful and I can't imagine a more picturesque campus. Best of luck to you and your family in the new location!
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby DigitalMechanic » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:13 pm

Cheers Tim! Congrats to a new chapter in life! You have been a great asset to the association and the forum. I personally have learned a lot from you. If you ever land back in Florida you have my number. Give me a ring and we will sail ;)
DigitalMechanic

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:49 am

Tim, you are always welcome here. Perhaps you'll see a discussion or question where new experience with your Spindrift gives you a different take on the problem. So even if you are no longer a current DS owner, you may have something to contribute.

I suspect you are correct about the choice of boat, but let us know how it turned out.

Good luck!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:58 pm

Well Tim, if you are coming through the Austin area, please let me know. I would very much like to meet you. I'm just a little west of Austin. We can definitely get some sailing in if you would like to. I f you want to explore the area a bit, you are welcome to park your trailer and boat at my place, the fleet won't mind. If you want, I'll take you to a great BBQ place I treat all my Tx200 crews to every year.

Sorry to hear you won't be a regular (with a DS) on the forum. You always have good comments and information.

I would think that TRW would feel at home with all the Day Sailers on the west coast, but I can understand taking the bigger boat.

Good luck on your future adventures.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby talbot » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:06 pm

No problem. I checked, and there's a DS 1 for sale right now in S'Cruz. Just buy a new one when you get there.

I'm actually . . . um, in the same boat. Well, not exactly. A Precision 21, which it looks like I might be acquiring next week.
I pulled Blue Moon this afternoon to use its slip for the bigger boat. DS 6546 is back to being a trailer-sailer under it's old blue tarp.

I went to join the user group for Precision. Turns out there is nothing like the Day Sailer forum. I have been considering the Precision 21 for about three years, and when I went to the Owners' web site, it looked pretty much the same as it did three years ago. A "news" item was dated 2006. A "recent" posting is one in the last decade. On the DSF, recent means in the last hour.

Anyway, to the extent that I can disguise questions about the P-21 as something to do with the DS, I'll probably ask them here.
talbot

Postby jeadstx » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:26 pm

Sounds like the Precision user group is slower than the Rhodes 19 group, I didn't think that was possible. The DS Forum and the Mariner forum are the two most active I've found.

John
Early Rhodes 19
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
jeadstx

Postby K.C. Walker » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:28 am

I've just gone the other direction in my newest sailboat purchase… A Sunfish!

I love my hot rod DS 1. I'm not giving it up! :-) However, it's spending the summer in New Hampshire and I need something to splash quickly for harbor sailing and racing here. I'm not finding a forum as good as this one but at least there's some activity and lots of info.
KC Walker, DS 1 #7002
K.C. Walker

Postby TIM WEBB » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:39 am

Thanks so much everyone for the kind remarks. Y'all ain't gettin' rid of me that easy! >;-P

John, I'll let you know when I have a better idea of when I'll be passing through your area. Balto is on a flight to CA as I write this. If you go outside and look up, you might see him 'cause his plane is over TX right now ...

Talbot, don't know if you "do facebook" or not, but there is a Precision Owners group on there I found when looking for a Spindrift group (there wasn't one BTW, so I started one!). The guy who started the Precision group sails a P18 in the Tampa area. There is another P18 in the WCTSS, and another friend of mine has a P23. They are very nice boats, and were definitely on my "short list".

https://www.facebook.com/precisionowner ... &ref=br_tf
Tim Webb
(I used to be Her "staff", in the way dogs have owners and cats have staff, but alas no longer ... <pout>)
TIM WEBB

Postby talbot » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:26 pm

Thanks for the Facebook tip.
Safe travels.
talbot

Postby Alan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:39 pm

Congratulations, Tim. You'll love the sailing conditions on Monterey Bay (crew and self are regular visitors to Santa Cruz, Monterey, and Morro Bay).

If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend checking out the Santa Cruz yacht harbor for launching and possible storage. They had a fair number of boats sitting on trailers when we were there last.

If you're going to be a Californian, you should know how to surf. I recommend Club Ed surf school at Cowell's Beach in Santa Cruz (if you already know how, they'll rent you the equipment). And if you want to kayak on Monterey Bay, Adventures by the Sea on Cannery Row in Monterey will rent sit-on-tops for a reasonable price, and they've got the best launch point and destinations.
Alan

Postby TIM WEBB » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:42 pm

Thanks for the intel Alan. Plan for now is to keep the boat at the house and trailer sail, as I still have a lot of work to do on her, and most storage places don't allow that.

Funny you mention surfing: FL folks are expected to surf as well, but I have only tried that once. Ilse and I got married at sunrise on Flagler Beach, right next door to Snack Jacks. Just the two of us and our good friend Hal, who is not only an attorney/notary/justice of the peace, but also a surfer and surf instructor. After the formalities, we had cake and champagne on the deck, then stripped outta our "formal" clothes (sans shoes, of course!), put on wetsuits, and hit the surf. Hal had brought all the boards and other gear we'd need, and did his best to instruct us, but let's just say we got a lot more laffs than rides that morning! Perhaps we'll give it another try in CA on our 7th anniversary next year. Chances are pretty good that our daughter Ella will be a natural ... ;-P
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby TIM WEBB » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:44 pm

Left Deland this morning. Aborted the P'cola stop due to wx. Am in Mobile, and hope to make Houston tomorrow. Doubt I'll get any sailing in between here and there - wx is horrible!

- more updates to come ...
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Postby jeadstx » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:34 am

Any idea when you will be up my way? Our sailing weather has been good.

John
Early Rhodes 19
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
jeadstx

Postby TIM WEBB » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:11 pm

John, today was pretty tough: major storms between Mobile and Baton Rouge. Very slow going. Then a big wreck shut down I-10 just East of Houston, right in the middle of rush hour. I mean SHUT DOWN, as in all lanes closed in both directions. Took FOREVER to find a way around the mess, and as of right now I'm holed up on 8 just north of 10. Will rise and shine early AM and see if there is any way to still salvage a visit w/ my old childhood friend here in Houston. After that, who knows? I will definitely give you a call once I get this hellhole called Houston in my rearview mirror once and for all ... ;-P
Tim Webb
TIM WEBB

Next

Return to Miscellaneous