Installing oarlocks

Moderator: GreenLake

Installing oarlocks

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 19, 2002 12:22 am

Anyone ever installed oarlocks on their daysailer? I just purchased a 1967 Daysailer one for use in Casco Bay out of Peaks island. Would like to install oarlocks and use a set of 6 to 7 foot oars (I'll man the drum and my two children the sweeps).

Where to install and how?

Doug.

Doug MacPherson (dwmacpherson2000-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 21, 2002 4:07 pm

The Day Sailer Quarterly magazine back in 1992 or 1993 had a story about the Day Sailer #14000 that did a camping and sailing adventure up in Labrador and Newfoundland. It was rigged with oars and a sliding seat on the centerboard trunk. I think the oars where so long that they had to be tied on the deck. Maybe somebody else will remember that articial and photos and can give you more information. This story was also featured in SAIL magazine around that time.

Gus Heismann DS 11100

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 22, 2002 11:55 am

I have a picture from a of a DS 2 with oars bungied on the cuddy. It looks like the blades hang over into the cockpit about 6" and the leathers are at the headstay, and handles project out a few feet from the bow. (I couldn't tell if they rigged an asymmetrical spinnaker off their "bowsprit").

Barry (BFK-at-sandiego.gov)

Return to Miscellaneous