Age of my Daysailer I ?

Moderator: GreenLake

Age of my Daysailer I ?

Postby BananaCollision » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:14 pm

I just bought an O'Day Daysailer, sail number 1283

I'm trying to figure how old it is, I see from the https://daysailer.org/Hull-Index hull index page that it's somewhere between 1957-1972. Any way to tell the age more specifically?

Noteworthy features are:
  • sail number 1283
  • it has a mastjack, no turnbuckles on the stays
  • no quick release for the jib sheet (just a figure-8 cleat on the centerboard house)
  • all sheave pulleys and the mainsheet swivel cam cleat made of an odd woven plastic material that looks like wood at first glance, prior owner called it "compressed nylon"
  • jib sheet is rigged to go from the jib fairlead into the cockpit through a hole in the wood spray-shield (what is the proper name for this part?) lined with brass grommet.

Does any of this tell the age? Any other telltales I should look for to age the boat?
BananaCollision

Re: Age of my Daysailer I ?

Postby rnlivingston » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:13 pm

My guess would be around 1960 based on the sail number.
Roger Livingston
DS 6872
Mariner 4096
rnlivingston

Postby Lil Maggie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:39 pm

jib sheet is rigged to go from the jib fairlead into the cockpit through a hole in the wood spray-shield (what is the proper name for this part?) lined with brass grommet.

The wooden "spray shield" is also known as the cockpit coaming

M
A crappy day sailing is better than a good one at home...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Postby GreenLake » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:13 pm

There's an online spreadsheet. (look for the thread "DS1 design changes" thread).

First, you can enter your information there (leave date a blank).

Second, you can compare your design with what others describe.

Third, be careful not to mess up any other info.

PS: by August 1963 O'Day was celebrating sail number 1500. At that time, they were building several hundred boats a year. Looks like yours is either a late '62 or early '63. HOWEVER, this assumes that your idea on sail number is correct. (If the sails aren't original, then they could have bee purchased used, with some other number on them).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby BananaCollision » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:46 pm

GreenLake wrote:There's an online spreadsheet. (look for the thread "DS1 design changes" thread).

Thanks for that! I updated my info in the spreadsheet. Looks like by the other features (motor well, wide rub-rail, keel-stepped mast) it was made from 1963-1965, so sail number 1283 of early 1963 sounds reasonable as belonging to this hull.
BananaCollision

Return to Miscellaneous