GPS recommendation

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: GPS recommendation

Postby JimTan » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:54 pm

I have my eyes on this.
http://www.icomcanada.com/products/marine/marine_ic-m94d.html
This is the icom M94D.
It is a HT VHF, GPS, and AIS receiver.
I am thinking this may help me in the future when in need to communicate to commercial ships.
I am a new sailor still sailing in my imagination. I could be totally out of my mind too.
JimTan

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:31 am

If you don't plan to sail in waters with commercial or other traffic that uses AIS, then I would not pay extra for those functions. Say you are ready in five years to trailer to B.C. and sail the Inland passage. By then, the state of the art may have moved on. If it's not much extra, why not add AIS. Having GPS and VHF in one may simplify things.

I have a dedicated GPS, that's mounted to the boat, with its main purpose to give a bit of a speedometer function and more importantly create tracks for review. I have the luxury of being able to navigate by landmarks, and use paper charts (usually beforehand) to learn about the condition(s) near shore (rocks etc). Because I want accurate tracks, I don't want a GPS that's waved about the boat. This would change if I had one with a bit of chart plotter and if I were to use that function.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby JimTan » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:41 pm

Icom M73 VHF no GPS no AIS $249.95
Icom M94D VHF with GPS, DSC and AIS $399.99
Should be a good buy then. I will keep in on my list.
Thank you very much for the advice.

Jim
JimTan

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous