solar charger

Moderator: GreenLake

solar charger

Postby Fly4rfun » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:43 pm

I've purchased a lithium deep cycle battery for the Mini Kota, ( 12V 16Ah Deep Cycle LiFePO4 Battery) it has a plug in trickle charge designed for it. I would like to add a economical solar panel to use with it, as i'm planning on doing some camping with the boat this summer and would like to top off the battery after use and to power any electronics i might have with me. I am aware i will need a controller.

with further research I guess what i need is the correct controller , so info about both please.

so you electronics experts, solar guru's, can you point me in the correct direction. thanks

Garry
Last edited by Fly4rfun on Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Re: solar charger

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:45 am

You may need to give a bit more specs on what you have. Model of battery, etc.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby JimTan » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:43 pm

I have done some reading on this topic.
I love to hear more of you can share.
I am doing my research to see if using a 30# trolling motor to motor through Chicago and other areas where I need to take the mast down.
Google say 100Ah or more, 300 w panels, and mppt charger.
I have not figured out how to mount those panels yet.
My boat is not a DS but similar. A Falcon 16.
JimTan

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:43 am

Trolling motors are super cheap, but they also consume more electricity than needed.

I used a 40# one for a number of years. Adequate to move the boat for up to a few miles in calm conditions (no currents!).

I've upgraded to an EP Carry, which gives me the same speed, but at about 1/3 the electricity (measured in Watts per knot). The main advantage is that I have almost the same range as I had with the trolling motor using 2 deep-cycle lead acid batteries. However, the battery I now use is minuscule by comparison and weighs next to nothing. Makes it super convenient to recharge underway (if I dock/beach somewhere, I can take it with me to the nearest outlet).

That said, adding range is expensive, because the batteries aren't cheap.

Your Falcon is ballasted and you're planning to use it on an excursion. You may need to look at something a bit more powerful, like an EPropulsion Spirit 1.0, or similar.

Find out what that draws at full power, figure 3.5knots as your likely boat speed and then see how many Wh you need to go the distance you maximally need to cover in one day. Consider that this requires fully charged batteries, so it's only feasible if you've charged before you go on that leg. Do the same calculation for shorter trips, or shorter run-times (like getting out of a wind shadow). Figure out whether the solar panel can recharge those fast enough - at 1/2 nominal rating, because that's the best you can expect - the further north, the less power the sun has.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby JimTan » Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:26 pm

after more research, and the situation I imagine I will need to use aux power, feel like electric is not that great considering weight vs distance traveled.

In my imagination situation require to use aux power. (For me who do not have sailing skill but like to travel longer distance and camp on the boat)
1. no wind, need to travel to avoid risk (in busy waterway, need to get to next safe anchorage or dock)
2. Bad wind, need to travel to avoid risk (sails down, motor to a safe anchorage or dock)
3. Travel through canal, mast down.

A 2.5 HP SUZUKI with 20 L gas is about 65 lb. Cost 1.5K (Internet estimate: 20 h run time and 80 nm distance)
300w solar panel, 100 AH battery, 30# trolling motor together about 3 time the weigh. Same price (not lithium battery) Shorter distance and slower speed. Not able to rush to safety in bad weather.

Maybe it is a better idea to save those weight. Add more food and water?

A small lithium batter and a 50w solar panel for electronics and VHF charging?
Maybe a ST1000 for lazy sailing?
JimTan

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:59 pm

You're trying to answer questions for which you lack the "feel". Go sailing (if your boat isn't ready, try to find somebody who can take you). Get a feel for how long a typical calm lasts, how far you might need to travel without wind. 80nm are 20hours of straight motoring (assuming 4 knots or 16hours at 5kn).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby JimTan » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:51 pm

Got it, thanks GreenLake
JimTan

Return to Miscellaneous