use of a anchor

Moderator: GreenLake

use of a anchor

Postby Fly4rfun » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:44 pm

could not find much mention of using a anchor other than being at anchor. advice on what size, where do you store it, how much chain/rode do you use. thinking of doing some camping this year.
thanks
Last edited by Fly4rfun on Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Re: use of a anchor

Postby jalmeida51 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:04 am

You should use a anchor scope 7 to1 depending on your length of chain. so if you anchor in 10 feet of water your rode would be about 70 feet. The more scope the better the anchor will hold. The pull would be horizontal not vertical. The more chain you use the shorter of the rode. This would help if you are anchoring in a crowed anchorage. The chain prevents the nylon rode from abrasion from being dragged over the bottom. Plus it acts against surges.

My anchor setup is a 3 pound Guardian Anchor ( G7 ) with 20 feet of 3/16 galvanized chain shackled to 70 feet of 3/8 nylon line 3 strands. I also used a stainless backing plate under the deck cleat. I store the anchor and rode in a plastic milk crate under the cuddy cabin

I don't anchor that much but it is there in case I need it. Every boat should have an anchor.

John
jalmeida51

Postby Fly4rfun » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:36 am

Thanks John, gets me started
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:05 am

I have a Danforth anchor that works well in local conditions. I think it's well over 3lbs, but can't be sure from memory. Used it only once or twice. I've been on other boats where the "anchoring" was above the water line. That is, anchor brought out when beaching the boat.

Be careful with chain.

I rescued a fellow's DaySailer after his chain had wrapped itself around the anchor (I think he had a rather small Danforth one) and formed a "ball". Saw the boat drift away with the tide, barely impeded by that "ball of chain" and rowed after it before it disappeared into the night.

Chain alone will not help if the anchor isn't set well. In our local condition, if a Danforth sets well, it's nearly impossible to break out.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Fly4rfun » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:52 pm

looks like some research on which anchor will be best for my use.
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:55 pm

That research should start with figuring out how you are going to use your anchor, also the types of bottom you're likely to encounter.

A "lunch hook" (daytime, short period, you're in the boat) has different requirements than keeping your boat out at anchor, by itself, over night.

For the former, grab any folding anchor you like and experiment.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Miscellaneous