center board installation

Moderator: GreenLake

center board installation

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:45 pm

I have to put the centerboard back into my sail boat.
Please could someone describe a method.
Also when installed are ther three positions or two ?Last year I had the centerboard handle lying horisontal towards the rudder vertical when it was up but I don't think it was all the way up.
Should the centerboard handle also lie forward horisontally.
I would really appreciate some guidance on this.
Rosemary Lyle
British Columbia

Rosemary Lyle (alyle-at-shaw.ca)

Postby boone » Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:18 pm

boone
Site Admin

Postby Peter McMinn » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:00 pm

The handle should be vertical with the board up, pulled aft and down to lower the board. As far as I see, there cannot be three positions--my assembly has been modified I think to prevent the handle from being stressed too far forward.
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:14 pm

The handle-operated CB on the DS I and DS IV has infinite positions between fully up and fully down. The board should stay resonably well at whatever position you set it at. Some boats may have a little locking pawl that holds the boat fully down or fully up, but there is usually enough friction in the handle to hold the board in position anyway. I'm not sure that I would use that locking pawl to hold the board down anyway, unless it is designed to release easily if you run aground. That is one time when I wish my DS II had the lever-operated board, since the line-operated board on the DS II and III will not kick-up unless the downline is released...very hard to do when under tension. Bob Cardosa, a friend of Rudy's told me about a cleat that he found that will release automatically at a certain (adjustable) tension, eventually one of us will try one of those, Bob has a DS III.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Postby Roger » Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:06 pm

Rod, tell me more about this cleat or lead me to your source. I snapped the down line last fall because it was cleated in with the board about an inch down while we hauled it up onto the trailer. I had thought of a bungee instead of static line, but like the idea of a 'kick out' cleat better.
Roger

Return to Miscellaneous