Cover for DS2?

Moderator: GreenLake

Cover for DS2?

Postby boone » Tue Jul 14, 1998 12:00 am

Hi all...I am interested in buying a fitted cover for my 1972 O'Day Day Sailer II. I basically want a cover to keep water/leaves/etc. out of the boat when I'm not sailing it.

I currently use a $20 tarp to cover the boat, which is OK but allows a pool of water to form on top of the tarp after it rains. The tarp usually only lasts a season before it becomes full of holes. Obviously, I'd want my fitted cover to <i>not</i> do that.

The home page to this site has a link to the Sailors' Tailor, who have a trailing-mooring cover listed for the DS for approximately $360. That seems like a lot of money to me but it would be worth it if it keeps water out and lasts a long time.

Are Sailors' Tailor covers good and are there any other options?
boone
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 14, 1998 12:00 am

Without a doubt Sailor's Tailor covers are good. Admittedly you could go over 15 years buying $20 tarps before you would spend as much as one cover but covers are easier to put on and keep on and they do a much better job keeping stuff out. In the end I think they are worth it.

The mooring cover and boom tent cover both require that you have the boom (or reasonable facsimile) in place to hold the cover up so water does not form a pool in the cockpit area. I have made a 'mast replacement' and boom crutch combination to perform this function when I do not have the 'real' mast up.

Keith Bay (kabay-at-execpc.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 20, 1998 12:00 am

I have a S-T "Trailer-Mooring" cover and if I had it to do over again I'd get a "boom-tent" design. What I have is 'second best ' for winter storage and non-use time in season.

Bruce (BruceRRose-at-stratos.net)

Postby boone » Mon May 03, 1999 12:00 am

I finally decided to buy a real DS cover before hauling my DS 2 from Ohio to South Carolina. I ordered a polyester Trailer-Mooring Cover from the Sailor's Tailor. They stitched "Anhinga" right onto the cover and shipped it the next day. I was really impressed with the quality of the cover. It looks very durable and it's reinforced in the right places. There's a bungee cord in the seam that gives it a nice tight fit on the boat. Plenty of sewn-in rings for trailer tie-downs. Over the cockpit there's a way to hold up the cover by attaching a line from the mast, although it's still probably a good idea to put some kind of support inside the boat to help stream rain off the cover.

It definitely wasn't cheap but it looks like it'll last. I'm happy with it.
boone
Site Admin

Return to Miscellaneous