engine bracket

Moderator: GreenLake

engine bracket

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 17, 1998 12:00 am

Is there an engine bracket made specifically for the DS II? If not, any suggestions.

Ron L (RLutzel-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 17, 1998 12:00 am

A short shaft outboard will fit directly onto the transom. I have a 4 HP mercury outboard which seems to work just fine in most situations. I use a piece of plastic material under the clamps to protect the fiberglass. I position it about half way between the rudder and the port side of the cockpit.

FrankS (fskewes-at-ebmail.gdeb.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 13, 1999 12:00 am

I have a spindrift DS1, and have about a 12" deck on the stern, I want to mount a 36lb thrust elect motor but can not find a factory made mount that is small enough to bolt to the transom. I ordered a stationary bracket from West Marine, but it is too large, anyone have any Ideas?

Doug Doughty (ddoughty-at-sprynet.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 14, 1999 12:00 am

About a year ago I went to look at a DS1 for sale. It was a very early O'Day boat, and had the same sort of poop deck you describe on your Spindrift. The owner had made an outboard mount out of a section of pressure-treated 2x10, about a foot long. It was through-bolted to the transom so that about 4-6" stuck up above the level of the deck. This gave him enough board to clamp his outboard onto. Painted to match the hull, it didn't look bad, and he claimed it worked fine.

David Blakey (dblakey-at-chkd.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 17, 1999 12:00 am

I too have a Spindrift Daysailer I. When I bought it 2 years ago, it came with a outboard bracket that appears to be very similar to the fixed bracket # 71074 in the West Marine catalog. I use a 30lb thrust Motor Guide trolling motor which propels the boat fine when the wind dies out. The standard shaft keeps the prop/motor assembly well under the water. I keep the unit in one of those rubberized river expedition bags and it stores very neatly in the the bow of the cuddy.

Steve Schriber (sschriber-at-spa.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:24 am

I have a bracket that I love for my Daysailer II. I really wanted a bracket because it keeps the engine out of the cockpit vs. putting it on the transom.
The bracket is a Garelick EEj-ln model #71074. I have the manual in front of me and it refers to the website www.garelick.com...651-459-9795. I had it installed at a marina (I didn't want to drill through the transom on my own). It cost me $79 plus 1 hr of labor ($65). Kind of expensive, but it works great!

Mike Witteman (mikewitteman-at-comcast.net)

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:42 pm

My 81 Spindrift DSI came with a cast metal (aluminum?)
mount that swivels upward and locks when you don't want to use the motr. BTW, I chose the 2 HP Honda
4 cycle, only weighs 28 lbs, and uses only a little
gas and has very low emissions. On the lakes here in
Western SC, seems to be enough power, but not sure it
would cut it on the coast where there are tides.

David Riley (driley-at-ngc.edu)

Return to Miscellaneous