main sail & heeling

Moderator: GreenLake

main sail & heeling

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 12, 1998 12:00 am

My main sail (on a 1972 DS II) has a grommet that is approximatly 8 inches above the boom and 3 inches back from the mast. What is it for?

I do not have any reefing points on my main. I want to reef. Any suggestions?

How far have you heeled and comfortably felt in control?

Does any one have an owners manual for this boat?

Ron (RLutzel-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 12, 1998 12:00 am

Don:
The grommet hole in your main is for a cunningham.
This is a method for adjusting the tension on the luff of the main. Any book on sailing will describe it and its use. There's also discussion and examples of cunninghams in the articles on rigging at this site.

Your DSII probably has roller reefing. The DSII I had did. With roller reefing you detach the main sheet and
roll up the main around the boom. Your boom is attached to the mast by a device called a gooseneck, which allows the boom to be rotated. You need a device called a reefing claw, that fits around the rolled up main and boom to re-attach the main sheet to.

The manual I had went with the boat when I sold it. Your welcome to test my memory with any other questions.

In terms of heeling, I feel comfortable until water starts coming in.

Ed. H

Ed Hutchinson (edhutchinson-at-worldnet.att.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 07, 1998 12:00 am

Ed, where can one get a reefing claw? ALso, how does one stop the water from coming in once it begins? I sailed a 420 before my recently purchased D/S II and once it started to pour in, there's no stopping it.

Pell (apell-at-epix.net)

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 16, 1998 12:00 am

Pell:

I found some reefing claws in a marine store in R.I.
a couple of years ago. I'll try and get the address this weekend.

Regarding heeling: I meant the water comming in as a little joke. If things get to that stage you are very close to going over. If you head up, ease the main, and hike out very quickly, you usually can avoid going over.

Ed H

Ed. Hutchinson (edhutchinson-at-worldnet.att.com)

Return to Miscellaneous