Sail numbers

Moderator: GreenLake

Sail numbers

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 18, 1998 12:00 am

My 77 DSII, hull #8370 doesnt have any numbers on the sail, it has the DS logo like in all pics I have seen but no numbers, is this common?

The previous owner speculated that these were original sails. Also, anyone in east central Florida with an O'Day wants to get together let me know.

Don Godfrey (donshar-at-palmnet.net)

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 18, 1998 12:00 am

Sounds like the original OÆDay DS II sails û just like my 1980 set. If your sails are like mine, they feel as soft as bed sheets and can not be flattened for higher wind conditions. ôBlownö sails remain full û providing less drive, forcing you to sail farther off the wind with greater heel.

An alternative to new is buying used from a DS racer. Used race sails may not get you to first place, but they have years of cruising life remaining. Beyond wear and tear û look for a sail with a lot of resin, sail material contains a resin to help it hold its shape. DonÆt worry about the ôspider-crackö wrinkles, or folds. I purchased a set from a local DS fleet member, added reef points and it has made a world of difference in boat handling. The National DS Association and local fleets offer great support as well - check out the web sites on the link page.

John C (pf_flyer_1-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 24, 1998 12:00 am

John,
Regarding adding reef points: did you use a sailmaker or do-it-yourself?
Either way, could you provide some details or point to a source?

Rufus (milsted.1-at-osu.edu)

Return to Miscellaneous