Taking Down The Mast

Moderator: GreenLake

Taking Down The Mast

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:13 am

Now that you guys have helped me learn how to raise the mast properly, what is the correct sequence to taking it all down once the boat is out of the water?

David Riley (driley-at-ngc.edu)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:11 pm

Is it hinged just above the deck? That makes it MUCH easier to do the following:
1. Unsecure the front of the tabernacle hinge.
2. Have your crew stand at the base of the mast while you release the forestay while standing on the foredeck.
3. The crew slowly backs up toward the rear of the boat while you let out the forestay. Eventually the mast will be low enough to rest on your crew's shoulder.
4. You let go of the forestay, walk to the back of the boat and install whatever mast crutch you have (built).
5. As the crew walks further back toward the stern, you assist in locating the mast into the crutch.

If you are alone, I would suggest ensuring that the boat is either level or SLIGHTLY tipping downward. Then you can release the forestay first, then the tabernacle hinge, and you can walk it back yourself. But be aware that the mast is HEAVY, and once Sir Isaac Newton takes over there's very little you can do to prevent the mast from crashing down onto your afterdeck.
Some guys have posted threads in which they describe crafting a system of camcleats and lines; check for 'mast stepping' in the subjects.

Tom (tom.beames-at-wachovia.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:14 pm

Thanks Tom, I did fail to say that this question pertains to a deck mounted mast with the tabernacle with 2 pins.

Postby Roger » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:52 pm

The only other item I would add to this thread is that if you are doing this procedure alone, I add a length of about 4 feet of line to the forward end of the jib halyard (where it would normally snap on to the head of the jib) and reattach the end of this added line to the stem head. I then cleat the jib halyard around a horn cleat on the top of the cuddy. Take the front pin only, out of the hinged mast step, and keeping one wrap of the halyard around the cleat with one hand on the halyard and another on the mast, (hand up high) you can keep the lowering of the mast in check with the halyard as you walk backwards supporting the mast until it is lying in the rear crutch. [The extra length of line attached to the halyard allows you to walk to the back of the boat before running out of halyard.] I think in terms of the physics of this strategy is that you have the least control with the hand on the mast, when the mast is still nearly erect, but maximum control with the jib halyard, and the lower the mast goes, and the angle between the halyard and mast nears the horizontal, you have the least control with the halyard, and most control of the mast in your other hand. I would guess that somewhere in the middle the control forces equal out. I always leave the shrouds attached during this procedure.
Roger

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:08 am

Another idea for taking the mast down alone is to place a 6' or so step ladder behind the boat in an area where the mast can rest on it. That gives you an extra "hand" to rest the mast on, before you take out the back pin, and shrouds if you are completely removing the mast.

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:51 am

Good thought, J.P. I currently keep a 3' aluminum step ladder in my tow vehicle, to make it easier to work with the rigging and getting in and out of the boat when its on the trailer (not real tall here!). I made a quick, rude, crude mast crutch for my boat out of a single 2/4, screwed together with sheetrock screws, and stained to match the woodwork on the boat. After raising the mast, one wing nut removes it to the tow vehicle. And when I am ready to lower the mast, takes just a second to put it back in place. Over the winter months, hope to come up with something better than that.

Return to Miscellaneous