Trailer Hook Up Basics

Moderator: GreenLake

Trailer Hook Up Basics

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:32 am

I still experience (from lack of experience) troubles hooking my tow vehicle to the boat trailer. How level do both vechicles need to be in relationship to each other? What is the maximum height difference allowd between the top of the trailer ball and the bottom of the coupler on the trailer?. The boat trailer is small, perhaps 10 - 12" wheels, I am currently towing with a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Track with a good quality Class III Receiver (2").
The coupler is brand new on the trailer, correct width for the trailer, and is for a 1 7/8th ball, which is what is on the towing end. There has to be a simple way to hook up, please help.

David Riley (driley-at-ngc.edu)

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:37 am

While I've never given this much thought, I notice that on my Van and trailer, the trailer tongue is approx. level, when both vehicle and trailer are on level ground.

You might need to get a drop down ball (assuming you use a receiver type hitch) to get this level.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Don Trop (don.trop-at-comcast.net)

Postby Roger » Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:05 pm

I am not sure, I completely understand what the problem is other than the trailer tilting back somewhat while being towed. I would assume that this does increase some strain on the bow eye, and winch, but as long as you have a very secure tie down and safety chain on the winch post (and trust your bow eye) there shouldn't be too much concern for short distance hauling. If the problem is that you can't get the coupler to lock on to the ball because of the angle, then you may have to get a drop down hitch. I had the opposite problem with my truck and trailer. The ball on the truck was so low that the tongue jack couldn't go low enough to make a connection. I mounted the ball on the bumper instead of the receiver hitch (which made it higher, and got a better match.

Another quick fix trick, if it is a reciever hitch is to look to see if the ball is mounted at the top of an unside down L angle on the reciever. If so, unscrew the ball, turn the insert of the reciever over so the the L looks upright and reattach the ball. This trick will only lower the ball about 2 inches, but 2 inches may be all you need to reduce the angle.
Roger

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:08 am

Thanks Roger.

My driveway is very steep. my yard is rolly and steep in places, there is no where even close to being flat when i go to hook up. at first, using the step bumper, the ball was at least 4 - 6" higher than the coupler. wouldn't work. then i had a good class III receiver installed. they gave me a standard
hitch bar with about a 2" drop, still wouldnt hook up,
even if you jumped up and down on the bumper. took that back, they gave me one with a 6 - 8" drop, now the ball is about 2" lower than the trailer coupler, still wont hook up! it's very frustrating. yet, i can unbolt the couple from the trailer frame, and manually put it over the ball, and it drops down right and locks down perfect every time, so i can only assume that its a question of too much angle between the coupler and the ball. i am going to back the front wheels of the truck onto 1 or 2 red bricks,
in hopes of lowering the back end of the truck.

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:22 am

just pick up the trailer tongue and put it on the ball.

jim (jimb-at-dsouth.com)

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 16, 2003 8:08 am

Thanks, Jim, I think. I would have never thought of that. For those interested, it had a happy ending. What was happening, was when I was attaching the coupler to the trailer frame, I was over tightening the bolts, and in turn, it was flexing the thinner metal of the coupler, thus binding the latching device of the coupler. When this happened, it would not allow enough movement for the device to move fully, and not allow the ball to drop down. It was suggested that I use 2 flat washers, one for each bolt, to allow a little extra space, and using lock bolts, just not tighten down as much

Return to Miscellaneous