Trailer Maintenance

Moderator: GreenLake

Trailer Maintenance

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:45 am

I have a 1983 Elzo Trailer on which my Day Sailor is resting. I need to move/trail it to a more active area. The trailer supports are padded with black carpet. What material is best to replace this carpet?? I need an anwser very quickly as I am moving the 20th.

Warren Mathisen (avidshooter-at-earthlink.net)

Postby Roger » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:09 pm

Short of replacing your pad or bunk system to rollers which makes launch and retrieval so easy, I would suggest replacing your pads with indoor/outdoor carpet... the astroturf variety. It is relatively cheap, slides the boat relatively easily when wet and you can staple it to the underside of your wooden pads. You can get small carpet pieces (6 x 8 feet)at your local hardware or automotive shop for under $20. I also think that the single most thing you can do to improve the support of your boat is to increase the length/area of your pads. This spreads the support resistance over a greater area of the hull, especially if you plan on trailering long distances. Remember to support your centerboard on a roller or cross member of your trailer so that the uphaul is not bearing the load of every bump on the highway.
Roger

Postby Peter McMinn » Sun Dec 14, 2003 10:32 pm

I would suggest the product currently in marine markets and designed for the purpose. There is an excellent 3/8" felt that won't compact like most carpet, and will hold up for years. It looks like carpet padding but lacks the roughage. Try Home Depot, GI Joes, West Marine or Hamilton Bay.

Good Luck!

Peter
Peter McMinn

Return to Miscellaneous