Website Changes Coming in 2004!

Moderator: GreenLake

Website Changes Coming in 2004!

Postby boone » Mon Jan 05, 2004 10:11 pm

In 2004 (hopefully sooner than later), we're going to merge the content of this website and the Day Sailer Class Association site and put it all at www.daysailer.org.

At the same time I hope to install a nicer bulletin board system and an easier way for users to post their photos. I was also thinking about a few class-association-only areas like the membership directory.

I'd welcome any feedback from DSA members and other sailors about what they'd like to see in the updated site. Just reply to this thread!
boone
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:19 pm

Mike -

A suggestion I have is to take a look at some of the other one-design sites. Particularly the thistle class association site. Having a section on the technical aspects of rigging the boat, and sailing techniques would probably go a long way. It seems that there are quite a few post on "how do I rig this?", etc.

My next statement will be quite controversial, as it was discussed at this past summer's PCCs in Eugene. That would be a Chief Measurer's page, where rulings and interpretations could be explained.

Don Trop
2835 - Killer Tomato

Don Trop (don.trop-at-comcast.net)

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 06, 2004 10:06 pm

Great news. Just condensing the info into one site would be a great improvement. More tech tips with photos would be awesome.

Thanks,
Jeff #3059

Jeff Smith (jsmith4265-at-woh.rr.com)

Postby Roger » Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:59 pm

Great idea! I like the idea of posting pictures along with the messages. So many times a pic can replace a 1000 words, literally!

Another idea would be to have the DSQ archive articles available on line. I am not sure how the association would feel about having their current articles available on line as I suspect that there is a certain amount of revenue from subscriptions, but also there is a fair amount of work in publishing and mailouts for a volunteer organization. Bob Hunkins has done a fair amount of volunteer work in transcribing articles to his website and does have many of the older articles available to him. Perhaps some members may be interested in transcribing and uploading older articles to a new site. If the assn did not mind haveing the DSQ published online, contributers could upload directly, or to an upload site for editorial processing prior to being placed online.

I get the sense that the DS organization has been more active in the past, and that moving to a stronger internet presence may be a vehicle for a stronger presence if indeed membership is dwindling.

Hope these thought help. It would be nice to get some feedback to these comments that would allow the group to come to some constructive decisions on how to improve communication within the DS community.
Roger

Postby boone » Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback, and keep it coming!

Regarding the Quarterly articles, we'll have to run it by Bob and the board. My idea would be to make them available to DSA members only, or at least do that for the new ones.

I personally would rather read the Quarterly online, which I think would save the organization a lot in mailing costs. Having access to the archives would be really cool too. We could make them searchable and everything.
boone
Site Admin

Postby Peter McMinn » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:07 pm

I agree with all above. I think DS owners everywhere could really benefit from a more cohesive and integrated website. Further, I'd like to shout a resounding YEA to the suggestion of a "master measurer" page, assuming all info is straight from the DSA.

One of the most valuable aspects of this site for me has been the ability to scan through relevant dicussion threads on topics useful to me. I also like to dredge up old queries of my own and provide updates for anyone interested. Will the archived threads still be available on the new site?

At any rate, kudos Mike Boone, for keeping this thing together for as long as you have.
Peter McMinn

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:10 am

Classifed ADS:

Too many of the Day Sailer classifed ADS don't have enought Info. Would it be possible to have a form or a template for these ADS?
Or
Just copy the template below, and replace the text with your ad text. You should always include items 1 through 5, and please list them in the order shown. Don't forget to include one or more pictures if you can.

1 - Ad Title -- Year Manufacturer Model (For Sale or Wanted) -- For example, 1989 O'Day Day Sailer II with trailer For Sale

2 - Ad Text -- Here you mention all of the features and benefits of what you're selling. I don't charge by the word, so tell the prospective buyer everything -- it will save you time later having to repeat the information to everyone who contacts you.

3 - Item Location -- Where is it? City and State, at least.

4 - Asking Price

5 - Contact Information. Be sure to include your email information HERE.

I got this template from another sailing site, maybe we need something like this. We should also have a link to the form on the home page.

Gus Heismann DS#11100 (gus-at-heismann.net)

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 11, 2004 12:34 am

...and of course a picture of the boat for sale!
Roger

Postby Bob Hunkins » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:40 pm

Thanks to everyone who is providing input! One comment I heard from the previous webmaster, and Mike, I think you have experienced it too, is that the for sale ads never seem to get removed when the boat sells, that is, the poor webmaster rarely gets notice from the seller to remove the ad. As a result, folks searching for a boat get mislead. If there's a slick way for the ad to auto expire after a set amount of time that might be a good solution to the problem.

I like a lot of the ideas, and I've forwarded the link to this thread to the board of governors. Hopefully all of them will read this thread, and perhaps provide their insights.
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed May 19, 2004 10:54 am

I recently aquired an old DS, and have found the old articles on rigging and tuning from DSQ very helpful. Having past articles in a searchable database will be a great resource. Cheers to Bob for getting it started! I've still got a lot to do, but I look forward to seeing you on the water.

Sam Benson (severndiving-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Thu May 20, 2004 10:28 am

PLEASE NO "MEMBERS ONLY" AREA !!!
I´m from Rio de Janeiro, sail my DS2 for cruising, short trips in Rio and Angra area. Informations in your (our?) site has been very helpfull while I was rigging the boat. I check the discussion group daily.
Keep it democraticly free, people from all over the world able to participate !..
NO "MEMBERS ONLY" AREA !!!!

Luiz Affonso (delphosdivers-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Dave Misunas » Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:53 am

I have joined other groups that where supported by Yahoo.... I cannot recommend Yahoo 'group' software it is cumbersome and has a limited search function.
You are limited to searching only the current page, which leaves out years of good information that is basically unavailable... unless you want to go through years of data a page at a time (not good).
The ability to search the entire database for a word would be a plus.
Dave Misunas

Postby boone » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:50 am

Dave, the updated site will not use Yahoo's Groups. It's going to use PHPBB, a full featured discussion board with search features.

I'll post a link soon for everyone to have a look at the new site.
boone
Site Admin

Return to Miscellaneous