Tow Vehicle

Moderator: GreenLake

Tow Vehicle

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:15 pm

I'm looking for a new car and I am torn between conflicting needs. On one hand 99% of the time I need a small urban commuter, on the other hand I need a car to tow my Day Sailer and gear to events around the country. All of the 6 cyl. wagons, SUv's, Minivans of course meet the towing needs, but are a little hard on the gas or larger than needed for daily use.
I am curious about people using 4 cyl. engines ( aprox 2.4L 160HP)to tow 1050lb boat,trailer,equipment. If I get a new aluminum trailer I could get the tow weight under 950lbs.
Thanks for your opinion.

Chris Lewton (sailsedc-at-yahoo.com)

Postby boone » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:47 pm

I currently have a 4 cylinder Saturn VUE (small SUV) which does fine with my DS (haven't done a long haul yet). It's rated to tow 1500 lbs.

I think the 4 cylinder Subaru Outback is rated to 2000 lbs.
boone
Site Admin

Postby Roger » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:38 am

I tow with a 6 cylinder 4 liter Ford Ranger with a 200 pound cap on the box. I suspect that the reason you are getting so little response to your query, is that most folks are pulling with something just a tiny bit bigger. Even at our relatively shallow cement ramp, I sometimes play slippy slidey spin the tires. I also never get into 5th gear on the highway, and always have to gear down going up a hill.

I used to pull a 250 pound aluminum sailboat on a 300 pound trailer, with a 2 liter 4 cyl Mazda 626, but I suspect that that was near the limit of its pulling power also.
Roger

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 10, 2004 4:48 pm

Guys,
In 1986 and 1987 I towed my DS to NACRs in Brockport, NY and Canandaigua, NY from Richmond (actually Chester, VA). We made it fine! Slows down a little going up hill! Later I used a 1985 and 1987 Ford Tempo to Marblehead and Thompson Lake, ME. plus a few trips to the Mids in Sarasota. We leave again Monday 3/15 for Sarasota using a Buick LeSabre. "Slightly" more room and power.
Come on down!
Dick Pitman DS-3101

Dick Pitman (jrpitman-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:44 am

Chris informed me that I "neglected" to say what kind of vehicle I used in 1986-77 going to the NACs in Brockport and Canandaigua. It was a Chev Citation "4 banger". The next 3 vehicles that I used were also 4 cylinder cars, i.e. a 1990 Acclaim, and a 1985 and '87 Ford Tempo. All former company cars that I purchased when we had the program. All had over 50K on them when I got them. They will work!
Dick

Dick Pitman (jrpitman-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:11 pm

I used to tow my DS with a 95 Honda Civic. I never took it on the freeway, but for towing around town it did fine. I didn't plan on it, I just got the bigger boat before I got the bigger car. The civic had a 1.8L 4 cyl. engine. I Live in Columbus Oh, so there aren't many steep hills, and the ramp I used to launch the boat wasn't very steep either. The biggest problem I had was that I couldn't see around the boat. It was wider than my mirrors were. Aside from the visibility, I think I would have been OK on the highway, at least powerwise. I had the hatchback, so it had a short wheelbase, and control and short-distance breaking at high speed might have been a problem, but then again, short distance breaking almost turned into an issue with my Jeep Cherokee a few years later--I had an inch or so to spare when traffic stopped on that wet hill just south of Cincinnati on I-75! I think there is a picture of my old rig on this site in the photo section

J.P. Clowes

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:11 pm

I tow my DS1, and previous DS2, with a 98 Saab 900, turbocharged 2 liter engine and A/T. Except for the boat filling the rear view mirrors, I don't know it's back there. Pulls it up the hills around the Illinois River valley just fine. A non-turbo version would do fine also I believe. Would think you'd only need more displacement if you had to pull up a long mountain or at high altitudes.

steve parsons (saabdrver-at-aol.com)

Return to Miscellaneous