Towing

Moderator: GreenLake

Towing

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:29 pm

I'm in the market for a daysailer, several irons in the fire at this point. Was wondering if a vehicle like a volkswagen passat is capable of trailering the daysailer? I'm lacking in knowledge for trailer hitches etc... I already have the draw-tite hitch installed. Just want to be sure I don't drag the rear bumper to-and-from... BobG

BobG (bgagnon-at-mckessonhvma.com)

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:45 pm

You should have no problem. I towed mine for a while With a tiny Plymouth Holarizon, smaller and less powerful than the VW. The weight on the hitch is only fifty pounds or so.

Dennis (Denmall-at-aol.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:18 pm

Thanks Dennis. As you said, the VW had no troubles pulling the DS yesterday. Thanks again for the quick response. BobG

BobG (bgagnon-at-mckessonhvma.com)

Postby Peter McMinn » Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:21 pm

Consider the trailer weight of the DS you're interested in. I bought #568 without really checking out the trailer. It was put together by someone handy with a welder and a supply of very heavy 3" U beam, which probably was all that was available 40 some years ago. The thing is overbuilt and will last forever; it just weighs about as much as the boat! Would not consider towing with anything less than a V-6 w/tow package.

If I could I'd trade this old monster trailer for something more gas friendly. Any takers?
Peter McMinn

Postby psness » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:58 am

I am buying a DSII and have a Windstar mini-van. My concern is the angle needed for the mast to clear the back of the van. Anyone have ideas on stowing the mast in this situation?
psness

Postby Roger » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:50 pm

I pull with a Ford Ranger with a cap on the back so have the same issue. The mast support in front of the winch is just high enough so that the mast clears the tabernacle, and does not go so far forward that it interferes with the cap of the truck. It sticks out back of the boat about 3 feet and I attach a red cloth just in case.

You will likely have the same problem as me in that you can't open the rear gate (in my case the cap door) fully as it hits the mast. For me it's enough to get in to the back though, and is the lesser evil than haveing more mast sticking out the back of the boat and inducing whip and bounce.
Roger

Return to Miscellaneous