Replaced shrouds seem shorter

Moderator: GreenLake

Replaced shrouds seem shorter

Postby Spapa » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:38 pm

I recently replaced the 3/32? shrouds and jib stay for the sturdier 1/8 inch from DR Marine. I had them made with the immobile forks as I have a tabernacle/mast jack I use to adjust the tension. Now when I raise the mast there is a fair amount of tension on the side shrouds and it is difficult to place the clevis pin on jib stay - this with the mast in its lowest position. I don't know what the remedy is other than trying to talk to Rudy about this but my guess is I will be stuck with having to buy another set or shortening the bottom portion of the split mast. Any thoughts? thanks.

Steve
Spapa

Re: Replaced shrouds seem shorter

Postby GreenLake » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:10 pm

I'm sure Rudy will sell you just a forestay that's a bit longer, but have you tried to push your mast forward? Mine is adjustable, but copying the way it was set up before, there is a bit of tension on the forestay when the mast is down. If someone pushes the mast forward, it's easy to mount it, but it's also possible for a single person to give a good tug the stay and get it to fit. If yours is shorter than that, I would call and discuss this with Rudy.

(PS in my case there's no appreciable tension on the side stays (shrouds))
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jalmeida51 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:26 pm

Try connecting your jib halyard to your trailer winch. Cleat one end of the halyard the other end to your winch strap or cable. Crank the winch this will pull the mast forward and hold it while you connect the forestay. Good Luck, John
jalmeida51

Postby Spapa » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:50 pm

thanks for the replies. I'll give the suggestions a try, but the jib stay was a one person job before the replacement and the shrouds were fairly loose. I haven't paired the new ones with the old to see the level of difference, but in the end he was relying on my measurement. I'm probably going to revert back to the old shrouds and jib stay until I can sort this out. thanks again. steve
Spapa

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:12 am

Yeah, sounds like your measurements were ever so slightly off. Still it seems better to replace these with the correct length than starting surgery on the mast.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Racing/Performance