Racing book recommendations?

Moderator: GreenLake

Racing book recommendations?

Postby marksoll » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:14 pm

Any favorites out there to help a budding DS racer?

PS: Hi Phill, how did the regatta go?
marksoll

My favorite racing books

Postby Phill » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:09 pm

Hi Mark,
Here is the short list of my favorites:

"Thoughts on Small Boat Racing" , C. Stanley Olgivy, 1957 & 1966 D. Van Nostrand Co., INC
I read this book every spring. Not so much a "How to" book, but lots of good expamples from the authors racing and experience, that kind of shapes the right kind of thinking to enjoy and succeed at racing. This book may be easier to find paperback, but after 10 years I did find a copy hardback. The best used Book store I've found is Powells Books in Portland, OR. they almost always have a copy.

"Sail, Race and Win" Eric Twiname, I last saw this book for sail in the 2004 APS Catalog.
Eric was a world class 470 sailor in the 70's. And was lost to us in car a accident about 25 years ago. This book is so popular that it has been updated and re-edited to the present. This book is more "how to" and describes a 'self coaching' method that is really helpful.

"Race Winning Strategies" Tom Linskey, I last saw this book in the 2004 APS Catalog.
Tom was Dave Ullman's 470 crew for all three of his World 470 Championships, and is a multiple Coronado - 15 National Champion as skipper. This book is kinda 'how to', but in a different way. He uses fictional(?) characters like Deep Dacron and Kent McBatten to illistrate the 'secrets:roll: ' of successful racing. Very easy to read and full of great advice for all of us.

The three books above are unique and are yearly reads for me. Other good books:
"Winning in One Designs" Dave Perry
"Sailboat racing with Greg Fisher" Tom Hubbel
"Sailing Smart" Buddy Melges and Charles Mason. (just don't smear soap on your hull without rinsing it off before launching)
"A Manual of Sail Trim" Stuart H. Walker Very useful for mast and sail tuning.
Don't forget a good rules interptation book , Dave Perry's or Bryan Willis's. I really like Bryan Willis, he is from England and has been a member of the international rules committies, and i like his presentation method. Very easy to learn from.

I hope this helps. Anything that can stir the gray matter a bit, makes us better.

phill 8)
Phill

Return to Racing/Performance