adjusting a pre-tensioned mast

Moderator: GreenLake

adjusting a pre-tensioned mast

Postby Peter McMinn » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:47 pm

My boat came with a pre-tensioned Ballenger rig. It is set up to "release" the tension by way of a line attached to a block along the jib halyard below the cuddy. When hauled in, the jib halyard tenses, pulling the top of the mast forward, which I *think* is best for a run or broad reach.

If in fact the mast is to be de-tensioned for downwind performance, how am I to do this with the jib down and spinnaker up? :?

What am I missing here? Can those of you who really use their pre-tensioned masts chime in?

Thanks ahead.

Peter
Peter McMinn

Postby Bob Damon » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:03 pm

Peter, welcome to the great debate on rig tension and mast shape as it applies to Main sail shape. The jib halyard tensioner is used to shape the mast to optimize the main shape. It is primarily of concern going upwind. Downwind I do not drop the jib and do not see this much from other racers as the jib is relatively small. Look at the tuning guides from North Sails and Jotz Sails. Both have fairly specific tuning instructions for their sails. Jim Skeen (skeenjp@aol.com) in Eugene is very familiar with the Ballenger as he was the area rep. Good Luck.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:41 pm

Thanks, Bob. I see Jim now and then. I'll get the low down from him.

When you say "primarily of concern going upwind," do you mean that the mast should be de-tensioned when going to weather?

In the interest of the debate you mention--what are the arguments pro/con?

Peter
Peter McMinn

hyfield levers

Postby Peter McMinn » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:22 pm

My mast is tensioned by using the trailer winch attached to a halyard. I crank it forward until I can get the pin in at the stayplate. I should de-tension the rig when the boat's out of the water, but I don't always do that. It's a pretty cumbersome process, and I want to make it easier by installing a hyfield lever on the forestay.

However, before I shorten the forestay, I wonder if anyone has already done this and now regret it. I've seen the levers on the shrouds, too, but I think I can duplicate what I do now with just one on the forestay.
Peter McMinn

Return to Racing/Performance