Boom launched spinnnaker pole

Moderator: GreenLake

Boom launched spinnnaker pole

Postby Peter McMinn » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:23 pm

I want to try boom-launching my spinnaker pole this year. In both of the following methods the topping lift remains attached to the pole.

Method A: the trolley system is a length of shockcord led forward around the mast and tied to eyestraps on either side of the boom and mounted at a distance just shorter than the pole (from the gooseneck). A block on the aft end of the pole runs along the shockcord as the pole is pushed out and secured to guy and ring.

This method appeals to me because the aftward pressure keeps the pole steady and easily handled/stowed. The downside is that the pole cannot be end-for-end jibed because the trolley cord is attached to one extreme of the pole.

Method B: the "sling", in which no shockcord is used but stap or line is mounted to the boom for the aft end of the pole to rest in, and a loop hangs near the gooseneck for the forward end.

This arrangement is appealing because it allows for end-for-end jibing (no cord attached), and there is less hardware involved.

The Intnl' 505 class has generally abandoned this latter method, opting to perfect the "speed" jibe and save time at the lauch and takedown. These are my reasons for leaning toward the trolley system.

Bob Hunkins has an excellent write up w/diagrams on this at:
http://www.bobhunkins.com/mt-archives/spinpole.PDF

Question to those who have experimented with the above: Which method do you find most effective on the Daysailer and why?
Peter McMinn

Return to Racing/Performance