Boat Trim

Moderator: GreenLake

Boat Trim

Postby jay topping » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:14 pm

Basic Questions re DSII:

Light winds (5-10 mph)-better flat or induced heel? how much? Who is leeward, crew or skip? controls soft, mainsail sheeted to about 12" off center, clew of jib about 18" off center?

Next: fore and aft--weight between cuddy and mainsheet? over CB on tacks? Who goes first?

Next: barberhaulers, 9" off center, top of cuddy, facing aft on lip?

Next: any other speed secrets? I'm a novice racer, inland lake in Mich, open fleet, only other boats in fleet are MC scows. Sailing uphill, but my wife and I enjoy sailing together (really!), so, dingys for us.

As always, thanks, JT
jay topping

responses to some of your questions

Postby Roger » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:58 pm

In light wind, induce heel by sitting to windward enough to have gravity shape the sail and reduce the wetted surface of the hull. Who goes where depends on who weighs what. You don't want the bottom edge of the transom dragging in the water, so if the helms person is heavy, then they should try to move forward. If both are light, both may need to sit on the lee side, if the crew is heavy, then the crew may be able to sit forward on the lee side and the helmsperson on the windward side. Trim to the boat's best sailing ability. I always found myself tucked up as close as possible to the bulkhead on one side and the crew up against the cuddy bulkhead on the other side, in light winds. In heavy winds we were both tucked up near the bulkhead on the windward side. When sailing downwind, we were on opposite sides near the transom. Sit for best heel and trim.

As you indicate, all controls are soft in light air, with slow movements aboard, and a light touch on the rudder. Moving forward and aft will change the weather helm, so trim to almost fingertip control of the tiller.

Barberhaulers, I am less able to speak to, as I have not used them, but I always thought they faced outboard, as their function is to move the jib sheet inboard.

As for speed secrets, keep the tiller as neutral as possible to reduce induced drag, keep the transom up to reduce drag by keeping your weight forward or at least in the middle of the boat, minimize unnecessary movements aboard to reduce changes in wetted surface and therby surface tension, (keep the bottom clean) and in really light airs, keep an eye out for the cats paws on the waters and sail from puff to puff. Head up in the blows and head off in the lulls to maintain boat speed in moderate winds. Start at the favored end of the line, so that a beat starting at that end will take you closer to the first mark. Tack as few times as necessary. Avoid the dirty air of other boats, as well as their wakes and rogue boat waves. If you have a GPS mount it with hook and eye fasteners on the bulkhead or CB trunk top and watch your speed as you make changes to trim, sails, line tension, heading changes etc. You will soon learn what items work for your boat, your crew and you.

Most of all avoid making mistakes. A boat in this past weekends race did an accidental gybe because they were chatting and not paying attention to the sail. It caused them to do a 360, and put them in far third place, where they were a close contender to second place prior to that mistake.

Good luck and continue to enjoy your boat.
Roger

Return to Racing/Performance