Cape Cod Shipbuilders DS1 compared to old DS1

Moderator: GreenLake

Cape Cod Shipbuilders DS1 compared to old DS1

Postby hhrussell » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:20 pm

I have a low number DS1. The hull has seen better days. I could buy another low number DS1 and throw a bunch of $ at it and end up with a similar problem or I could spend the big bucks and get a new DS1 from Cape Cod Shipbuilders.

I like to race and I'd like a boat that handles well and doesn't require lots of maintenance.

How do the 2008 versions of the DS1 compare to the good racing DS1 from the 1960s???

Thanks for your reply!
hhrussell

Postby algonquin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:19 am

I sent for some info on the “new” version. Sailing wise it would probably be about as good and includes additional safety features (flotation) built in. By appearance it resembles a DS2 much more than a DS1. I would also think that the new hi-tech sails would have an edge over the sails from the 50s and 60s. Hull design is pretty much identical to the older DS1s. I don’t believe there are any active posters on this site that have the new version. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby Tim K » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:51 pm

From what I've heard, the cape-cod hulls are very good, and the added safety of the closed-in cuddy is great for some people, while others prefer the space afforded by the old open cuddy. Some people have minor issues with the tapered mast provided by cape-cod, but it's hard to go wrong for the money. The hulls may require a little re-rigging to get race-ready. There's a guy in annapolis who races with a cape-cod boat and always does very well.
DS 3366
Tim K

Postby Bob Hunkins » Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:55 pm

If you plan to race a CCSB boat, have it weighed before you buy. They are usually very heavy (> 600lbs)...
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby foredek » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:29 am

I bought a used Cape Cod DS and love it - very solid. I have yet to race it but when I followed a DS race, I sure thought I had boat speed and pointing ability on the fleet. I would guess that the rigidity of the hull more than compensates for any weight issues. The boat is rigged to race with the tapered mast and I have not had any problem with it.
The fit and finish of the boat is really nice and I get lots of compliments from other sailors who know Day Sailers.
I was lucky enough to get a good deal on mine and would have spent nearly as much bring an older DS up to to the level of this boat (which is what I had originally intended to do). I prefer sailing to sanding so that worked out for me.
Marshawk
foredek

Return to Racing/Performance