Sailing in high winds

Moderator: GreenLake

Sailing in high winds

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 07, 2000 12:00 am

I am interested in hearing what strategies DS owners have found for coping with heavy air. With the regular rigging I find the boat no fun to handle in any winds above 15 knots, because I am constantly having to guard against capsizing. I tried sailing with just a main or just a jib, and found that the boat wouldn't come about properly with only one sail. I have considered adding reef points to the main. Would it also be feasible to carry a smaller jib for use in higher winds? .

Ken C (kcobb-at-bspmlaw.com)

Adding reef points to the main is the best solution.

What Day Sailer are you sailing?

Some most Day Sailer II's already have a roller reefing boom, that you can roll the main sail around. But it works much better with with a reefing claw for the main sheet.

Read the Rigging section of this The Day Sailer Class Discussion Group

Reefing claw:
See http://www.boonedocks.net/cgi-bin/miva? ... sailer+580

Hiking out should also be considered

Gus Heismann (gheismann-at-hotmail.com)

I am between boats, but my experience was with a 1983 Spindrift DS I. If it had roller reefing, I didn't know it, and I had the boat for four years. Wouldn't it be ironic if I had it all along, and didn't know it for lack of knowledge of this web site!

Ken C (kcobb-at-bspmlaw.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 10, 2000 12:00 am

Ken C-

I have an '84 Spindrift DS1 and it doesn't have roller reefing, so I doubt if yours did...

Kevin C.
Dallas, TX
DS 11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 10, 2000 12:00 am

Ken-

My local sailmaker added reef points to my sail for $50, and if you sail in high winds a lot, a smaller jib might be worth purchasing. I've always thought a jib off a Lido 14 or similar sized boat might make a nice storm jib for my DS (although I've never actually compared its size to a DS jib).

Kevin Clark
Dallas, TX
DS 11791

Kevin Clark (clarkr-at-aud.alcatel.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:13 am

I was lucky to spot an old Jib at a church sale. It was from some other boat and doesn't quite fit, but is less than two thirds the sail area of the regular DS jib and great for winds above 15 knots. Not tht I go out in that kind of wind very often, but one can get caught.

Steve Max

Steve Max (stevemax-at-mindspring.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 21, 2002 12:22 am

i frequently sail mine with main alone, while singlehanding, and haven't had the problem of getting stuck in irons. with the CB tilted just a little back, i'm always surprised how little weather helm it has. has anyone experience in doing their own reef points? i've done some sail repairs and sewed my own sail and tiller covers, so I have the stuff. i wouldn't want to put the money into my "veteran" mainsail, but when the wind gets strong, it would make the boat more manageable to be able to reef.

greg (grlesaue-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:06 pm

I too sail often in higher winds with just the Mainsail, sometimes just the reefed mainsail. I sail 95% of the time singlehanded. I very rarely, if ever have trouble with getting in irons when tacking, even with only the mainsail. However, most of the times when I did have a problem, it was due to hitting a wave just as I tack. This slows the boat down too much, and may actually move the boat backwards. In this situation, it is important to think quick, and by moving the tiller/rudder the "wrong" way, you will actually steer the boat "backwards" onto the new tack. Finally, when tacking (always) only turn the rudder enough for the boat to respond and tack, if you shove the helm over too far....it slows the momentum of the boat to the point that you often can not complete the tack. When sailing under Main alone, you do need to raise the CB slightly to move the center of lateral resistance (center of CB area) closer to the center of effort of the sail (center of sail area).
Oh, and I'll give my usually advice, ALWAYS sail with the mainsheet in your hand! Let the camcleat hold the tension, but keep the sheet in hand to allow you to instantly release it if a gust of wind hits.

Rod Johnson, "SUNBIRD" (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Racing/Performance