Pointing, ways to improve

Moderator: GreenLake

Pointing, ways to improve

Postby SaltLakeSailer » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Hello all,

I was on a mountain lake (Bear Lake) and the wind went from nil to 20+ mph in a very short time: virtually no warning. Through the course of things, I learned that the large genoa prevented pointing and even inhibited tacks. The normal jib allowed tacking, and pointing was improved but not ideal.

What is the best way to improve the ability of the DS I to point? Note: I have pretty much a basic boat - no cb modifications, rudder modifications, or adjustable mast step, but it does have a set of barber haulers (does that even help my cause?).

I'm looking forward to any input and suggestions. Maybe this will help me round out my list of off-season "things to do".

Thanks.
SaltLakeSailer

Pointing

Postby dtrop01 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:04 pm

In no particular order, pointing is affected by:

1. Sail shape (also a function of age of sails)
2. Centerboard Shape (if you have a stock board...they usually stink as far as pointing goes)
3. Mast rake and overall tuning.

I'm sure Phil Root will also chime in.

Also, we should try to get both our boats our together (I'm in Draper) before the weather turns.
dtrop01

Postby swiftsail » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:08 pm

Also keeping the boat flat, so the sails and boards work at their optimum angles. Heal is bad!!! Except in light air, then a little heal to keep shape in the sails is good.
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

local contact info

Postby SaltLakeSailer » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:01 pm

Don,

I had your number a while ago; can't locate it. Please let me know how to get in touch. Call me at (801) four-eight-five, four-zero-one-zero (does that help encode my phone number?!) I'll be around most weekends, waiting for the wind to pick up...

Thanks for the performance advice so far.

Ray
SaltLakeSailer

Return to Racing/Performance