What's Your Top Speed?

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: What's Your Top Speed?

Postby skullersrc » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:41 pm

GreenLake wrote:Any GPS device that is not fixed to the boat can theoretically give inaccurate readings as the device is moved relative to the boat.

More an issue for a single momentary reading, or something like the peak speed value, not so much if you observe the same number for a bit.

That's why I usually throw out abnormally high numbers.

Today i got out in 15kts with crew for once! Mounted my phone and watched the gps reading and we were able to hit 6.3kts upwind for about a minute and 9.8 on a broad reach. Did this with my old original sail so I wonder what difference it would have been with my newer sail. The OG sail is about 10% smaller.
skullersrc

Postby GreenLake » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:15 pm

The 6.3 is about the top end of hull speed. Possibly technically some "forced mode". Much of my sailing days I never get over that number. The 9.8 sound like you did get her on a plane; good for you.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Lil Maggie » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:15 am

Hello back! Now that racing season is in full swing, my boat and I managed first in class and shared first overall with a Flying Scott last Saturday...during that three-race "regatta", we had 10-20 kt breezes and a few lulls of no wind...our best speed upwind registered at 6.5 knots with a couple of 7 knot moments, thanks to watching the two boats ahead of me getting hit by a 25 knot burst and nearly layin' over-that puff happened to hit me at a close reach angle and we shot out ahead. I have hit 8 knots on a close reach with jib and main and wife and two kids for ballast, though (FYI my boat GPS is mounted on a bracket). Downwind, during the same race we hit eight knots dead-downwind on the gusts and kept a steady 6-6.5 knot run...very exciting!

I agree with GL on the top end boat speed. Hull speed for a daysailer is 5.4 knots...upwind. Of course, that speed can be exceeded, but one needs to have the right ballast to keep the boat at the right trim going upwind that fast; I found that bearing downwind just a tick can help push a DS1 over 6 knots in winds where close-hauled will get you 5-5/5 knots. All depends on the tactical situation when racing, of course; last week the wind gust came with a favourable shift for me, but I have been on the wrong end of a shift more times than I can count. If just out sailing for the fun of it, of course, it doesn't really matter :D

Cheers,
Mike
A crappy day sailing is better than a good one at home...
DS 1 #2313
Lil Maggie

Previous

Return to Racing/Performance