Raced my DS yesterday for the first time

Moderator: GreenLake

Raced my DS yesterday for the first time

Postby klb67 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:59 am

Yesterday was the last of our club's summer race schedule, and I finally took the opportunity to race my DS for the first time. After my 8 year old son's soccer game, we high tailed it to the lake to throw the boat in the water and hoped to make the last race or two. There were 7-8 Scots racing and no sunfish or other boats (we usually have at least 3-4 sunfish and maybe another boat or two in the open class). I got to the line a few minutes after the Scots had started Race 3, checked in and sailed the windward/leeward course behind them. I was the only non Scot boat, so I stayed to the side of the course out of their way since they are racing for points and we were the only other boat out there. My primary goal was to keep the boat upright and get around the course and we were successful. Winds were 10 mph, gusts to 20 mph when we started, building to 20 mph, gusts to 25-26 mph, based on the weather history. Most of our sailing was in winds at or over 20 mph.

My son ran the jib sheets for the most part, with a little tweaking from me. We're still working on rule No. 1 - when I tell you to do something, do it immediately, please. While "ease the jib" would be my typical instruction, yesterday was "pop the jib", often said 4-5 times quickly and loud as the main was as out as far it would go, and we were still continuing to heel. After a bit of getting used to the gusts, I finally got him up sort of on the rail by the stay and still holding the jib sheet. I do need to get a set of reef points in the main, as it would have made yesterday much less adventurous. I also could have used about 50 more pounds on my son to help keep the boat flat. But we did quite well under the conditions. I DNF'd the third race (or maybe finished in place, I'll have to see what they do with us) as we'd have taken awhile to finish another lap after the Scots had finished. For the last race, I told the committee boat I'd lay back at the start to give the Scots a clean start, and asked them to give us a W1 (1 lap) vs. the W2 the Scots were doing. We did much better on that race, having adjusted a bit to the gusts and significant backwinding (I think that's the right term) we were getting off of the shore near both marks. It was a great day to be out, a great experience for my son and I think he got past a bit of the fear in sailing in higher wind. My wife would have been cursing me the whole way around the course, as she's not a fan of heeling.

One minor casualty - the tiller extension is a metal telescoping unit of unknown make with an aged rubber ball on the end. At a particularly hard gust, the ball pulled off the end of the extension in my hand. Thankfully the boat just rounded up fairly hard and I managed to get to the low side and grab the extension before we gybed, so no harm. Rather than try to glue it on and hope it stays, I'll be shopping for a new extension.

We also managed to plane the DS on the way to the dock. I had been close before, but there was no doubt about this one. I had moved back and asked my son to do so as well - as soon as he got past the mainsheet block, we climbed the bow wake and got a good roostertail from the rudder, and took off. I neglected to start my sailing ap, so I don't know what our speed was, but we were moving.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Re: Raced my DS yesterday for the first time

Postby jeadstx » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:13 am

Nice write up. Glad you got your boat out for a race.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby Interim » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:37 pm

Sustained winds of 20, with no reefs? Pure salt, you are.

--john
1979 DSII
Interim

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:39 pm

Are you using ratchet blocks on your jib?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby klb67 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:09 pm

No i'm not using a ratchet block, and my upper back muscles were quite sore on Sunday (I'm 41 in generally good shape but don't regularly exercise). I have a picture on here somewhere of my mainsheet set up. I have the cleat turned so it takes some effort to cleat the sheet with my toe, but any pull will uncleat the sheet. Mostly paranoia about the mainsheet getting cleated unintentionally. I've meant to adjust that for better ergonomics, but haven't yet.

On the windspeed, I was surprised at those numbers, and still have some doubts about what was at the lake vs. the readings at the weather station. I guessed sustained winds were 10-15, with a few short lulls under 10, and definitely gusts over 20. I don't have a wind meter, but I know the club does and I'll need to ask if they used it at all out of curiosity. I've seen them use it a few times in extremely light winds trying to decide whether to start a race or not. I know after a race and a half, I was ready to get back to the dock.

Since the race I've also pondered how much newer sails would have helped, beyond being able to reef. I yanked on the outhaul as much as I could, but the main is still pretty baggy in that kind of wind. So I guess I need new sails, for safety reasons, right? :D
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby klb67 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:10 pm

Greenlake - I misread your question - I am using Ronstan auto ratchets on the jib sheets, and I'd would say they were necessary on the jib sheets on Saturday. I few times I had to help my son trim the jib in, but he was able to do it for the most part.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:41 pm

If you were sailing on a lake then conditions are likely to vary considerably by location. So even nearby weather stations can be off. Also, official station measure wind at higher elevation than your sails.

If you based your "guess" on the state of the water (and your boat's reaction), I found that those can become quite accurate, to the point where I often don't bother with my portable wind meter. The sea state (or wind effects on the land) will reflect the true wind, while a meter will only tell you apparent wind.

For those who haven't tried it, look up the Beaufort scale and compare its description of sea state and effects on land with your observations. For example around 11 knots (almost 13 mph) you will begin to see whitecaps. Flags on buildings may fly straight out from about 12 knots (14mph), and so on. (11.5mph = 10 knots, 23mph = 20 knots).

Do you need new sails: always! :D

And, while you are at it, if you don't have them yet, mount barber inhauls. They help improve your pointing with the new sails. And get a spinnaker, if you don't have one. Even if you only use it in more moderate conditions, it's more fun.

One of our local sailors (mixed fleet) had his daughter steer downwind while running the spinnaker. More fun for both of them.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jeadstx » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:10 am

I added the barber inhaulers to my boat to help in pointing. They really can make a difference. There are a couple posts on the subject, probably can find them using the search tool.

New sails if you are racing make a big difference also. I replaced my sails for racing. Made a big difference. I bought my sails from Intensity Sails. Last year I purchased a spinnaker from them also. I don't race a lot, so I went with lower cost sails. I know sailors that race their boats a lot get more expensive (and higher quality) sails. Mine suit me just fine however. A friend that I sail DS class races with also bought new sails from Intensity. He noticed a big difference from his old tired sails. He also added the barber inhauls and is currently setting his boat up for a spinnaker.

I can understand the wind speed thing as I race on an inland lake surrounded by high hills. I've raced in 20 knot winds as well under full sail, can get a little exciting. My sails came with one set of reef points in them, so I can reef. The lake I sail on also is prone to weird wind shifts as well due to the hills. One race I sailed last spring, we had light winds and wind shifts (recorded by the committee boat) of about 60 degrees at times. My crew and I missed the first race because of those wind shifts, we couldn't get to the committee boat and start line. We would get near, the wind would do a wild shift and we found ourselves sailing in the wrong direction, not fun.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:41 am

Our last race of the season was upwind on two of three legs. Lake winds can be fun!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby MookaCB » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:01 pm

Cheers to another racing DS!

This summer I started racing at my club. It sounds like your lake has mostly Scotts, where mine is almost all Lightnings. A word of warning, it will be easy for you to want a faster boat (I might be currently looking for a lighting, while hoping to keep my DS for day sailing).

If they only do one start as a mixed fleet do not be afraid to get in the mix for the start. That will get you practice timing your starts and starting in a larger fleet. After the start, you can stay out of the way. I was doing the same thing until a the Lightning racers told me to knock it off and get in the fray.

That first race next spring seems SO far away right now...
MookaCB

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:28 pm

MookaCB wrote:...
That first race next spring seems SO far away right now...

Precisely!
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Interim » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:46 am

I'm jealous of you guys who race. Only twice this summer have I seen another sailboat on the water.

And I'm not after the racing as much as getting better at sailing. It seems like races are a good crucible for learning.

--john
1979 DSII
Interim

Postby klb67 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:42 am

Racing is a fabulous way to improve sailing. I've raced my Sunfish in the club's races for the last 3 years. It is such a different experience racing to points against other boats vs. just being out there sailing. I have learned to be much more aware of the wind in the area, improving sail trim, boat balance, you name it. I like recreational sailing too, but it's easy for me just to sail around without working or improving. I learn more about sailing when I'm racing. I've tried to encourage others who aren't yet racing to give it a try. It's not as serious or difficult as it may seem from the outside. I tell them to learn a few right of way rules but when in doubt stay out of the way until you get more experience. If they are nervous about being up at the start line with the other boats, then just lay back a bit and follow the leader - they are still racing. Frankly, racing also makes me got to the lake and sail - I don't usually need much nudging and often I have to decide to miss other things to go race, but I do race in wind and weather that I might otherwise not sail in.
1976 DSII - #8039
klb67

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:54 am

If you don't have regular crew, you could try to take along some of the other sailors. That would allow them to get a feel for how the setup works and perhaps catch the bug.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby MookaCB » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:40 pm

MookaCB wrote:(I might be currently looking for a lighting, while hoping to keep my DS for day sailing)

An older gentleman who has a Lightning at my sailing club cannot race it anymore due to health issues. It turns out what he still wants to keep it so he can be part of the fleet, but he was looking for something like a DS. Through good timing and some luck, we get the best of both worlds. We will retain ownership of our boats, but share. I will race the lightning with the fast guys AND get to keep my DS for daysailing. The other gets to keep his boat, maybe with some improvements that I will make, and use mine to continue sailing.

Here is to more racing AND keeping the DS2!
MookaCB

Return to Racing/Performance