Jib leads

Moderator: GreenLake

Jib leads

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 11, 2002 9:13 pm

I am new to the Daysailor class and am surprised to find that my jib lead tracks (1970 daysailor) have been mounted horizontally on teh cuddy cabin to change the angle of the jib, vice vertically on the cabin (fore and aft at a specific jib lead angle) to allow adjusting the job leech. Is this normal? I would assume that that job is either alway the way in (I believe at 10 degrees) for beating, or out for running.

Comments?

David Koepper (dkoepper-at-erols.com)

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:37 pm

Dave,
For a while many people were moumting ib tracks on thier cuddy tops. This enabled them to set the angle of the jib lead and then tension as necessary. The main trade off that I have noticed crewing on these boats is that it is very difficult to cleat and uncleat the jib. I use the original setup with the track on the coaming and the cleats on the centerBoard trunk, with barber in-haulers to adjust the angle. This works fine but some people don't like the jib sheets crossing the boat and getting in the way. Some of our fleet members (Curt, Ken, Peter) have changed to a setup wher they keep the original track on the coaming and then go to a block and cleat assembly mounted under the aft corner of the cuddy where it meets the deck. They the use the barber haulers to adjust the angle of the jib and jib the lead track position and sheet tension to adjust the leech.

Chris Lewton (clewton-at-erols.com)

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 22, 2002 2:54 pm

I am curious. I have the jib cleats on the centerboard trunk, and my crew often trips as they move foreward to do whatever. With the cleats mounted under the cuddy as you described, does it make it harder to trim them? Pushing foreward to cleat the sheets sounds like an unnatural and difficult movement that would sacrafice the tension, or is there a block or something that is mounted in there so that the sheets turn around and the crew can pull the sheets in? Just curious.

J.P. Clowes (jpclowes-at-hotmail.com)

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 24, 2002 10:47 pm

In this setup the sheet goes to the standard block on the track mounted on the coaming, then forward to a turning block and cleat mounted under the corner of the deck where it meets the cuddy cabin.

Chris Lewton (clewton-at-erols.com)

Return to Racing/Performance