sailing under main alone

Moderator: GreenLake

sailing under main alone

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:09 am

after reading about the DSs poor performance under main alone, i tried it for myself yesterday. it felt fine to me. the centerboard wasn't quite all the way down and my rake is definitely not set up for racing. it seemed that i was pointing as high as 50 degrees off the true wind. i didn't have a wind indicator but i did sail with the jib and main up first and then switch to the main alone. sailing in about 5 knots, the boat performed fine under just the main and tacked with no problem. my sails are probably 20 years old. i was sitting on the windward rail with a tiller extension. since my father-in-law is moving back up north for the summer soon, i plan to start soloing a lot under main alone until the hurricane season starts bearing down. ...just an observation.

chad (gilliscmnr19-at-juno.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:07 pm

Not that it matters, but why would you not use the jib when solo? I solo every time I sail and use both sails. Keep one sheet draped over each leg and your hand on the tiller. Once I set the jib, I pretty much leave it alone and make adjustments to the main.
Jim

jim (jimb-at-dsouth.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 1:44 pm

the reason i would use main alone while sailing solo is during high winds on open water. i've been handling practically everything on the boat. but i've had the luxury of having a second hand on boat when the winds get over 15 knots. i doubt i'd take my DS II 2 miles offshore on the gulf of mexico with 15 knots and over, solo, with both the jib and the main up. lighter winds on protected waters, no problem. same winds on protected waters, probably still no problem.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 03, 2003 9:12 pm

Depends upon how much wind you have. In any breeze the boat wont sail well upwind. I had a reef installed. Although reefing is more effort, it makes the boat controlable solo to about 20 knots of wind. I weigh 230. If you sail solo and dont have a reefable main...............sailing under the main alone is better than a capsize or overpowering the boat. As the boat is intended for a crew of 2-3 in that case a reef is seldom needed. Hey, a DS under bare poles sails better than most boats! Alos the 50 degree pointing doesnt include the leeway you are experiencing.

HARRIS (HG-at-MYHOST.COM)

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:30 pm

I have found this topic interesting since I bought my Daysailer a few years ago. The man I purchased it from told me he often soloed and did it with just the main, as this was my first sailboat, I have pretty much always sailed with just the main and I have never had any trouble doing whatever I want to do. I even got a compliment from a stinkpotter about singlehanding right to the dock.
Everyone says the boat "Points" better with the jib, I really dont know what that means!! What I do know is me and my 8 year old enjoy sailing whether it involves the jib or not, and that to me is the best part!!

Don (don083-at-cfl.rr.coom)

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:36 pm

If you are in open water you have the choice of any tack and the boat sails great on just the main on most tacks. If you are in a confined channel and have to sail to windward............then the better upwind performance will become apparent with both sails up. When I hit the mooring I douse the jib first and the boat manuveurs great.And is easier to depower. If you have a reefpoint and new sails thats half the battle. Otherwise its smart to sail on just the main when shorthanded. I find the boat needs a reef around 12 knots.

harris (hg-at-myhost.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:24 am

good observations. it does sail very well downwind and on reaches with main alone. but regardless of what it feels like, it has to sail better to wind with the jib up. it's just plain physics. new sails and a reef -- i can only wish for those at this point. i first need to add a proper outhaul, topping lift, jib cleats, and replace a few trailer rollers. thanks for the posts.

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:47 am

If you are going to keep the boatand you have a clean hull dont hesitate for a second to order new sails.you sill be amazed at how much less the boat heels......and you wont hear that thumping noise fo the main and jib flapping in heavy air. Quiet and fast. You have alot of company as unless a DS was raced I imagine about 90% still have original.......tired sails. Im not rubbimng it in.....its just that a new boat owner wont notice how tired the sails are until he experiences the pleasure of new sails. I used D&R marine as they suppky OEM sails. One of the resons I downsized in boats is that I didnt want to spend big buck on sails. $600 seemed like a bargain. Anyone add their travellor to a DS2 yet?

Harris (hg-at-myhost.com)

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 05, 2003 11:09 pm

Just a couple comments and observations on this thread.

First, if you are sailing under a single sail, and you have a choice...you don't always, you know ;->...I was taught to use and have always used the jib. It balances the boat much better, allows for slightly higher pointing, is way less likely to capsize you in strong winds, depowers almost instantly, and while docking, gives much better visibility than when the main is up.

Regarding new sails, if you don't have the $$$$ for new sails, consider sending your blown out rags to any of several sail repair shops for recutting and renewal. You will be astonished at the improvement, and the cost is certainly way less than new. Also, you can have reef points set in while they are doing the other work.

Eric

Eric (hiquk9s-at-netins.net)

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:09 am

couple of questions. one: harris, did you D & R sails come with reef points? two: ken? did i understand you correctly in saying that when sailing with a single sail you prefer the jib. i've heard of people doing that for downwind work, but how does the boat point while going upwinds? seems like it wouldn't work too well, to me at least. also, how much would it cost to get sail recondition -- ballpark figure? thanks all.

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:01 pm

I took advantage of a special in the fall from D&R. Apparently someone had ordered a main with slugs that he offered for the same price as his OEM sailas the fellow had passed away. This sail was a Sails East wheras his OEM sails are neil pride.Rudy told me that this sail include a reefpoint and when I received it it did not. Rudy toldme to either return it of have the reef installed at his cost! He told me that the cost from his local North loft was $35. MY local North quote was $150! EVentually went to another loft and paid $40 on rudys dime. If you order the sails from rudy inquire about the reef. I dont think that his sails have them standard as he mentioned that it was an option whent the boats were new. For racing there are certain requirements and different qualities. For daysailing slugs and a reefpoint or 2 are neccesary. I have an original OEM sail that has a reefpoint. its about a 3 foot decrease. I used about 18 inches as I didnt want to set the boat up for hurricanes.............but to have it balance perfectly when I solo in 12-18.

hARRIS (HG-at-MYHOST.COM)

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:52 pm

As the wind increases my boat has a significant amount of weather helm. If you sail with the main alone, it seems to me that this would quickly become uncontrollable, although I haven't tried it. Reefing the main, I use roller reefing with a 3' reefing cloth, balances the boat in higher winds and makes it much easier to control both weather helm and tipping. I depower by easing the main as necessary to balance the boat, helm, and wind. Particularly when it's gusty you need to keep the main sheet handy.
Jim

jim (jimb-at-dsouth.com)

Postby Roger » Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:02 pm

Where does you main sheet attach, mid boom or end boom? Mine is mid boom going down to a swivel block on the cb trunk, but I don't have a reefing claw and it just seem too much hassel to move the mainsheet to the end of the boom each time I reef. I sometimes wonder if a full time end boom system with a traveller might facilitate the use of the roller reef. What is your opinion?
Roger

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:21 am

I made a reefing cloth from directions elsewhere on this site. The cloth rolls up with the mainsail, about 3 full turns of the boom. I put a grommet in the end of the cloth. Before you roll the boom, you take the mid-boom shackle and pulley off and then attach the shackle and pulley to the grommet in the end of the cloth. This keeps your sheet at mid-boom just as before. It's easy to make and easy to do.
Jim

jim (jimb-at-dsouth.com)

Postby Roger » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:27 am

Thanks Jim. I had not seen that item before. I'll make one up for the spring. Would a snap shackle be the 'weapon of choice' for linking the block to the boom making for quick release/attachment, or do you use something else?
Roger

Next

Return to Racing/Performance