ocean sailing

Moderator: GreenLake

ocean sailing

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2003 3:58 pm

Hi, We're looking at a regular Day Sailer 17' - with a 5hp Seagull motor - would appreciate any advice on putting in at N.H. - seacoast- probably Rye Harbor - am I crazy or can this size Day Sailer handle mild coastal sailing? thanks.. j albere

Jay Albere (jalbere-at-cheshire.net)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:39 pm

Jay,
I've sailed my daysailer along the Jersey coast, on the outer reaches of Casco Bay, ME and on Vineyard Sound. Absolutely you can take a day sailer in the ocean! Here's what I've learned from those experiences that may be helpful: (1) I don't go in unprotected waters in wind above 15 knots, (2) have a reliable 4+ HP motor in case you get stuck in a strong current or are overpowered and downwind of your destination, (3) when the swells and wind pick up, you may end-up surfing down the fronts of swells, particularly on a run. Be gentle with the tiller, the boat tends to want to broach in that situation which would probably result in a capsize, (4) I carry a handheld radio when offshore and, of course, proper safety gear ready in the cockpit. Enjoy!

Mark (miller_mark_web-at-yahoo.com)

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:42 pm

I sail my Day Sailer II on Buzzards Bay (Cape Cod), and would say that sailing out of Rye Harbor (NH) would be OK. I would add another caution to Mark's advice, ALWAYS sail with the mainsheet in your hand! That way you can easily pop the sheet out of the camcleat when a puff hits. I'd also suggest having reefpoints on the main and a tiller extension (hiking stick) to allow sitting on the side deck while sailing, I have found that sitting there makes the boat sail more upright in a breeze.

Rod Johnson, SUNBIRD (rjohnson24-at-juno.com)

Return to Racing/Performance