Bilge water

Regarding the DS3 only. Note that the DS3 is not a class-legal Day Sailer.

Moderator: GreenLake

Bilge water

Postby jesse » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:41 pm

I just purchased an 87 daysailer 3. I am told that this ships water into the bilge area thru the centerboard. I wondered how much of a problem this would create if it fills this area. I used to have a daysailer 1 and of course didn't have this bilge area. Is the bilge area connected to the trapped air space in the bow area? I was trying to imagine what it would be like sailing the daysailer 1 with ankle deep water in the boat. Will the boat still float with this bilge is full if you swamped it? Appreciate some thoughts.
jesse

Postby JohnT » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:49 pm

The centerboard is a source of water in the bilge. The board is held in place by 4 bolts that penetrate the hull. That's one source. Other source could be the small pockets formed in the centerboard trunk. These pockets hold the two plastic wedges that hold up the centerboard pivot. My boat had hole in the top of the pockets take took in a lot of water. Looks like someone ran it aground pretty hard. The repair is not easy because the only access is from the 2 inspection ports in the deck. Additional inspection ports have to be cut inside the cutty to get a good reach.

The boat will still perform and float with water in the bilge, but it's just better to get it fixed.
JohnT

Postby jesse » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:21 pm

Thanks, I also wondered if the centerboard when pulled up is supposed to be level with the bottom of the boat. This board is below the bottom by several inches. I don't remember about my daysailer 1 which had a lever to control the board. It didn't seem like it was like that.
jesse

Postby JohnT » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:44 pm

Before the repairs, the centerboard on my boat would drop a bit out of the trunk. Now that I've re-installed it, the centerboard now seems to stay up. It's not unusual. I just try to make sure it's up all the way before launch. Otherwise the centerboard may hangup on one of the rollers.
JohnT

Postby jesse » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:19 pm

Thanks for all this info. I just purchased this boat for a good price but I am not sure about possible problems with the boat. It appears that the centerboard is problematic. It is down a good 7 to 9 inches underneath the boat. The previous owner had tied a rope across the trailer underneath that he said was only a safety move to keep it from dropping down while trailering. I have attempted to pull it up on the trailer but it won't go up any further. It appears to have little room left to go anywhere on the blocks in the cuddy cabin. Could it just be an adjustment problem involving the cable. It has been many years since my daysailer 1 which had a lever and I can't remember if the centerboard was easier to maneuver in the water than on the trailer. I don't remember the weight of the board. I can probably find that on this sight. I'd appreciate any insight on this and thank you for your interest.
Jesse
jesse

Postby jesse » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Thanks for all this info. I just purchased this boat for a good price but I am not sure about possible problems with the boat. It appears that the centerboard is problematic. It is down a good 7 to 9 inches underneath the boat. The previous owner had tied a rope across the trailer underneath that he said was only a safety move to keep it from dropping down while trailering. I have attempted to pull it up on the trailer but it won't go up any further. It appears to have little room left to go anywhere on the blocks in the cuddy cabin. Could it just be an adjustment problem involving the cable. It has been many years since my daysailer 1 which had a lever and I can't remember if the centerboard was easier to maneuver in the water than on the trailer. I don't remember the weight of the board. I can probably find that on this sight. I'd appreciate any insight on this and thank you for your interest.
Jesse
jesse

Return to Day Sailer III Only