Stay Tightness

Moderator: GreenLake

Stay Tightness

Postby Cal » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:53 pm

Making progress, new mast casting and new 1/9th" stays, in placeand I go to raise the mast. Find the side stays to tight and back all three off as far as I can. Got the main halyard tied to another rope, through a pulley on the winch post, and back into the cockpit for some additional pull.

I can barely get the bow stay to the rear hole, let alone the forward hole. Anything else I should be doing, other than waiting a few days to let it 'stretch' a bit?

Second question, hoisted the old Neil Pryde jib and it ends about 10-12" short of the pulley - is this normal?

Thanks,
Cal
1984 DS2 12413
Cal

Postby Cal » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:50 pm

FWIW, I did what everyone else has probably done. Threw a bowline on the main halyard and hooked up the trailer winch to pull the mast top forward enough to move the stay to the first hole.
1984 DS2 12413
Cal

Forestay.

Postby kokko » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:11 am

Another esay option is to rig you mainsheet to the jib halyard and bow and use the purchase to pull the mast forward.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby Peterw11 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:14 am

Are we talking tabernacle or full length mast?

If the former, I'd be concerned about overtightness and potential mast damage. If the latter, would moving the mast backwards on the step (tilting it forward) be of any help? Or cranking down on the jack, if you have one.

Are these new stays from D&R? If so, a call to Rudy might help solve the problem. Maybe an extra body leaning on the mast while you pin the stay?

I also think the first hole is all you need to reach with a new stay, as the other holes will pick up the slack once it stretches out a bit.
Peterw11

Postby Cal » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:02 pm

Yes, new stays from Rudy and on a tabernacle. Proabably needs some sailing time to put a load on the side stays

Looks as if the rear hole is for the jib and the front hole for the bow stay. Moved it Sunday to the forward hole and will leave it there for a few days.

I was trying to do it without using the trailer winch but that was what I needed for the last inch or two.

Cal
1984 DS2 12413
Cal

Postby Peterw11 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:53 pm

Your's is a DS2?

If it's like the DS1, the larger hole, towards the stern is for the jib shackle.
The forestay is pinned at the forward most hole.

Some boats have a couple of forestay holes in the chainplate. The more stretch you have, the further forward you pin the stay, hence the remarks in my previous post.
Peterw11

Return to Rigging