Main sheet material

Moderator: GreenLake

Main sheet material

Postby mcarr » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:52 pm

I'm replacing my main sheet and I just discovered that there's like 100 different rope materials available these days, each with its own sheath, core, stretch, etc...

Any hints what I should be looking for? I noticed in another thread that somebody used Endura for their mainsheet. Is that the favorite?
mcarr

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:37 pm

Here are my hints what to look for: rope that runs easily through the blocks you have, doesn't tend to tangle, and that is also easy to grip and hold.

If you can go to a marine supply store in person, just let them show you what they have for "dinghy main sheet".

Because of the need to grip and hold a mainsheet, they tend to be oversized compared to the load you'll put on them. Therefore, they will neither break nor should they stretch appreciably (just too little load)

The Rigging measurements on this site say 5/16", D&R Marine suggests 3/8" and what I found on my boat when I bought it was 7/16". Larger diameters are easier on the hands, but will not run as smoothly through blocks and will be a bit heavier - those things matter in light airs.

What the previous owner put on my boat appears to have been 7/16" braided nylon docking line, as opposed to a 3/8" braided polyester which would seem be a more standard choice.

How bad is not having the "correct" main sheet? With that main sheet I do need to push out the boom when jibing in light winds because it's a bit too big for the blocks and its weight tends to pull the boom in. However, it's really easy to grip, and it doesn't tangle. For casual sailing it's worked well enough that I'm not in a rush to replace it.

In short, I'm a bit skeptical to the idea that there's one single type or brand of rope that's head and shoulders above the crowd for this purpose, and would recommend the cheaper alternative.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Bob Hunkins » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:59 am

I've used 7/16" or 3/8" double braid, New England ropes or whatever the regular double braid brand is they have at West Marine or the local boating store. There is no one correct kind or rope, it depends on what you do, and the winds you sail in. If the sheet you are replacing had any annoying tendencies you noticed when using it, try to eliminate those when you replace it. (Examples would be too short, too stretchy) A smooth running line is definitely the most important criteria closely followed by not cutting into your hands too deeply. - Gloves are another alternative if you want smaller diameter line.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

mainsheet

Postby kokko » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:27 pm

None of the respondent remarked on the abuse-factor from knowledgable sailors. When I bought my boat, it still had the original sheet and halyards. Since I was in a hurry, I bought some cheap-o braided from the big box hardware. $5 for 50 feet of 3/8. I should have known better, since a fellow sailor heaped abuse on me for installing "grandma's clotheline" on my DS1.
He had a point, and I bought proper line. Nothing fancy, just good dinghy line.
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby Bob Hunkins » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:40 pm

I've seen worse. There was a guy once who bought jute line for his sheets.
Bob Hunkins
#11750, "Surprise"
San Leon, Texas
Bob Hunkins
Site Admin

Postby mcarr » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:02 pm

I wound up going with 7/16" Sta-Set. It seemed to be the best all-around... relatively cheap, low stretch, etc. I'm not a hard-core racer so I'm sure it'll do fine.
mcarr

soft lay for the hand

Postby Roger » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:56 pm

I would go the 7/16 if your blocks can handle it, and would add the suggestion of the sheath having a soft hand. This cover feels more like cloth than nylon, but is essentially more strands in a softer lay, (not as tight a braid). As the name suggests it is easier on the hands and even with fingerless gloves on (recommended), it requires less of a grip to hold it and you hands will thank you at the end of the day, (especially if it is gusty and you have to sail with the main uncleated.)

BTW white is the traditional color for any line related to the mainsail, blue for the jib.
Roger

Postby Woden » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:55 pm

I'll go with Roger. Bigger is better. You have to hang on to this thing some times and after hours of sailing in blustry sailing your hands can get tired.
Pete
Woden

Postby PG » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:22 pm

Regardless of what type of sheet you ultimately choose, a pair of sailing gloves is relatively inexpensive (I got mine at West Marine for $20) and goes a long way toward protecting your hands. Plus they look cool and you can impress your friends by looking serious.
PG

Postby swiftsail » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:15 pm

And you get tan finger tips!!!!!!
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Postby navahoIII » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:24 pm

PG,

It thought that "serious" sailors NEVER wear gloves. Develop some callouses, man! :D
navahoIII

Postby swiftsail » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:26 pm

I all depends on how much the wife/girl friend complains :wink:
DS 307 "Security Risk"
DS 14024 "Flight Risk"
Live Slow, Sail Fast
swiftsail

Postby PG » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:33 pm

navahoIII wrote:PG,

It thought that "serious" sailors NEVER wear gloves. Develop some callouses, man! :D

I prefer gloves, thank you. But I do use barbed wire for my main sheet ...
PG

Postby algonquin » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:37 pm

swiftsail wrote:I all depends on how much the wife/girl friend complains :wink:

Hmmmm! My wife never sails with my girl friend :lol: :lol:
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Bzzz Line?

Postby K.C. Walker » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:59 pm

So, I've been thinking about new sheets for next year. I've accumulated new ratchet blocks for my tackle and I'm thinking about New England Ropes Bzzz line. Anybody using this? I found a couple of the reviews one that was linked from Intensity Sails http://www.rbsailing.com/2008/06/7mm-bz ... sheet.html and this one from Jim Young http://www.jimyoungsailing.com/g_rnl.htm#sheets . I'm thinking I might go with 8 mm because Ross Bennett commented that the 7 mm felt a little small. Any thoughts?

Thanks, KC
K.C. Walker

Next

Return to Rigging