vang attachment to mast w/ tabernacle

Moderator: GreenLake

vang attachment to mast w/ tabernacle

Postby MrPlywood » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:21 am

So.... still thinking about cutting the mast. I may actually do it this summer since it looks like we're going to do some traveling with the boat.

Anyway, I've been thinking about a way to attach the vang while maintaining a good angle to the boom. My idea is to use a boom bail

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/ri ... /index.htm

wide enough to span the width of the tabernacle. The rear tabernacle pin would go through one bail end-hole, through the tabernacle, then through the other bail end-hole. The pin appears to have enough play for a comfortable fit. The curve of the bail would allow for smooth pivot action on the vang.

The thing I'm concerned about is the strength of the pin. But since it's also stainless, about 1/4" diameter, and supported by the tabernacle I think it would withstand quite a bit of force.

Any material engineers out there?

I created a little diagram: 814
MrPlywood

Postby algonquin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:23 am

Nice idea ! I am not an engineer. I have been around boats and constuction quite a while as well as having been a material quality inspector for a time. Your design looks plenty strong for this application and makes great use of the tabernacle mount. Kudos. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby MrPlywood » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:48 am

Thanks Brad. I've been thinking about this for a while, then last night I saw your link to Duckworks Supply and it sparked my interest again. They have some very nice prices on stainless hardware. Similar sizes from other mfg's are upwards of $40~$50... Thanks for the tip.

My dad still wants to "save the mast" :)
MrPlywood

Postby Kleanbore » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:31 am

The only down-side that I can see is the need to fiddle with aligning and sliding the tabernacle pin through 2 more holes when stepping the mast. I added an eye strap to the front of the mast below the tabernacle to keep a small line from riding up the mast. The vang then attaches to that line. On the Intensity Sails website there is a pretty good picture of this setup http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-3215431774 ... 90_4339351
Kerry Klingborg
74 O'Day DSII
Sail #7182
Kleanbore

Postby algonquin » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:51 am

I don’t think it would be a problem pinning the new bail when you go to step your mast. The mast would already be in the horizontal position when you put the aft tabernacle pin in. Will have to wait and find out.

I looked at the pic on the intensity website but it looks more like a line to keep the gooseneck from raising than a boom vang setup. The vang would usually attach back along the boom so you can adjust sail shape by tensioning or loosening the vang which in turn affects the angle of the boom. Brad
"Feather" DS1 #818
algonquin

Postby Peterw11 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:01 am

I'm guessing the only question is whether the pins are long enough to accept the ends of the bail, without jamming or interference.

The stainless steel pin should be plenty strong enough.
Peterw11

Postby jeadstx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:40 pm

I know my pins are longer than they need to be. Long enough that I use a winch cover with the top cut out as a sleeve to cover them and the tabernacle to prevent the jib sheets from tangling on them. Interesting idea for the boom vang attachment.

John
1976 Day Sailer II, #8075 - Completed the 2011, 2012, and 2013 Texas 200
1952 Beetle Boat Swan Catboat
Early Rhodes 19
1973 Mariner 2+2, #2607 - Completed 2014, 2015 and 2016 Texas 200
1969 Day Sailer I, #3229
Fleet 135; Canyon Lake, Texas
jeadstx

Postby MrPlywood » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:49 pm

I'm pretty sure Kerry is talking about the loop of line (with protective plastic tubing) below the tabernacle... That would be one less thing to assemble, and the vang attachment angle would actually be lower than what I'm suggesting.

There appears to be plenty of side to side play with the pin to accommodate the bail...
MrPlywood

Postby Kleanbore » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:53 pm

Correct, I was talking about the loop of line with the plastic tubing below the tabernacle. It's probably not a big deal, but the thought of holding the bail while pushing the pin through one end of the bail, then 2 holes on the tabernacle, then the other 2 hoes of the tabernacle, then the bail and pin it, all while holding the mast with one hand. Being able to just attach the vang to the loop of line is a piece of cake, especially since you do not need the strength of the stainless bail to attach the vang.
Take care,
Kerry
Kerry Klingborg
74 O'Day DSII
Sail #7182
Kleanbore

Postby Woden » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:56 pm

I added a boom vail just below the tabernacle. To this I attached a length of chain encased in vinel tubing. The vang is attached to the end of the chain. This puts the vang tensioning line over the cockpit. Just not so far to reach.
Pete
Woden

boom vang attachment

Postby dannyb9 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:37 am

i drilled a hole through the base of my downhaul cleat and pinned a shackle to the cleat. the height of the cleat can be adjusted since the cleat slides in the sail track. i attach my vang to the cleat's shackle. i run my downhaul down to a padeye on the deck where the vang used to be attached, anf back to a cam cleat on the cuddy deck
dannyb9

Return to Rigging